Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
hey there i posted like 1 month ago about purchasing a MacBook Pro.

Well im still decided on getting a MacBook Pro but when the new revisions come out when leopard is released! But im PC user and want to totally switch over so im selling up on everything i own to do with PC so i can afford a half decent Mac Mini as a Desktop and have my MBP as a powerful machine for when i need it doing my graphic deisgning and animations.

I would like to have the MBP last 2-3 years being able to take pretty much nearly anything i throw at it! i would only like a 15" because i have a 17" laptop and its just too big. so which version of MBP should i choose and hopefully new LED screens on the revision.

On the MacMini i really will only use this when MBP is charging or dont need to do powerful tasks so all i will probs really install on it is photoshop do brief stuff on it, then browse the net listen to usic and chat on it. What Specification do you recommend for the Mac Mini? I also heard a rumour of core 2 duo and possible better graphics card in it, is that true?
If that is the case i will definately wait out for it!

Thanks for any help i may get :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Well, first, outside of Apple and their suppliers, no one knows what's coming and when, so no one here can accurately answer your questions about future models.

Also, I think you should, given your usage, save the money on the mini and use it for a better (more RAM/ bigger HD) MBP, because there would be any time the MBP is not usable because it's charging - just use it as it charges if need be. Or spend the money (actually, a lot less) on an external charger and extra battery. :)

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
a mini would be a waste of money. just get the MBP and use it for everything.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
OK well im definately not getting the MBP until at least august because that is when i get my exam results so that wont be til then.

But im wanting to switch to Mac but as a cheapish option before then, that is why i was thiking macmini?

Thanks for the info so far.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
if you want the mini, look for a refurb core solo or even a G4. for what you're doing and the short amount of time for which you'll be doing it, you don't need the latest and greatest.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
if you want the mini, look for a refurb core solo or even a G4. for what you're doing and the short amount of time for which you'll be doing it, you don't need the latest and greatest.

hmm ye didnt think about refubs or G4.

How does the G4 run because that is before intel switch isn't it? Will it run most apps?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
hmm ye didnt think about refubs or G4.

How does the G4 run because that is before intel switch isn't it? Will it run most apps?
It'll run all of the apps.

Just slower, for many of them. And a bit faster, for the PowerPC versions.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
A G4 Mini would be a great starter Mac, and an excellant back-up if your MBP has any problems. Being Pro-Desktop, however, I would also reccomend getting a maxed out Mini, and saving money on a MBP, and maybe getting a low-end MB, or a refurbished iBook.

Personally, I don't like how everybody is abandoning desktops and switching to laptops for everything. I think you should use your desktop for your more powerful apps and such, and your laptop to do the less powerful things. Of course, there are people who need power on the go, but not EVERYONE does.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
Ye i no what you mean.

Just im going into college and stuff i mean they have Power Mac's and 20" ACD's there but what if i wanna take my own laptop to work on doing my graphics and such ill need portability. Also i think a 13" screen to work on doing graphics is too small for me, that why i think maybe low end MBP and upgrade the RAM myself.

I think i will most probably buy a G4 Mac Mini to get into Mac and such i should be able to afford one within 2 month, there selling for about 270pound on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.