macbook pro memory upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yayoyego, Mar 29, 2007.

1. yayoyego macrumors newbie

hey y'all,

i'm wondering if anyone knows a good site to buy a 2gs chip for a macbook pro to upgrade to 3gs total. i have been searching for a while and really can't find anywhere other than the apple site itself. any guidance would be much appriciated.

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. nicksoper macrumors member

nicksoper

3 Gigs in a Core Duo Macbook Pro

dartzorichalcos: I went through to the thread you mentioned, and that was about buying a mere 1GB memory. But thanks for the link, although it's only really helpful if you are buying in the states.

I, along with yayoyego, would really like to upgrade my Macbook pro to the maximum amount of RAM possible. I have the 17inch, 2.16 GHz Core 1 Duo, and have kept the standard 1GB of RAM.

I've seen that Apple are selling the Core 2 Duo with a 3GB configuration (which is a 1GB + a 2GB stick), and I would really like to know if it is possible to put a 2GB stick next to my 1GB stick in my Core Duo. And if so, where can I place my order.

I read somewhere that there is a hardware maximum of 3.2 or 3.4GB imposed by the motherboard, so having 2x2GB sticks would be pointless - aparently. Sorry I don't have the link.

It's also worth mentioning that this configuration, if possible wouldn't allow the RAM to run in dual channel, but I'm sure the pro's would outway the cons for memory hungry folk, or people using several Rosetta apps at the same time.

Cheers if anyone can help.

4. nicksoper macrumors member

nicksoper

Max Ram for Macbooks and Macbook Pro's

This is a duplicatepost of this one, but I thought it would be useful.

Accorinding to OWC, the link is here, the RAM situation breaks down like this:

Core 1 Duo Macbook Pro's:
    Max RAM: 2GB
    Max HDD: 200GB

Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro's:
    Max RAM: 3GB

Then the plain Macbook's (doesn't specify core 1 or core 2 duos):
    Max RAM: 3GB

So I'll have to make do with a mere 2GB's until the next round of updates, like HD optical drive, Flash OSX boot, Brighter Screens, Better Battery life, etc.
    Cheers

5. dailo macrumors regular

2GB sticks cost way too much! I'm not sure if the extra money is worth the extra 1GB of memory.