MacBook Pro, need tip for final decision

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matd, Mar 26, 2006.

1. matd macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004

I would like to purchase a Mac Book Pro and

The only two reasons why I would need to have XP on my MacBook :
    - Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 for developping .net stuff (Mono can't compile for PocketPc or Smartphones)

- Active Sync 3.7 (not the 4.1)

- Is it possible to sync (send files to) a Pocket PC over Bluetooth ?

- Optionaly for games ;-)

Can someone confirm that theses tools are perfectly working on a MacBook XP?

I read on that VS 2005 should work, but never could find more informations on it

Is there a possibility to corrupt something on my MacBook Pro (i mean information on a chip, the boot loader)?

I suppose if I have played with Linux installations, Lilo Boots, kernel compiling and so on, installing XP on a Mac with a dual boot system should'nt be so complicated !
  2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Ive not used it myself, but am certainly interested in buying a MacBook pro as am in your situation - although my needs are different.

I have decided to wait around for 6 months or so, and decide then. It's a heck of a lot of money to waste on something that I'm not even sure is going to do what I want, well.

I also cannot take a laid-back attitude to my system. I need to know installing a driver here or there won't bring down my entire disk...apparently many people have had problems installing drivers and not only destroying the Windows XP format, but interfering with OSX necessitating a complete formatting of the disk.

Can you hang arouond for a few months?
  3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Bluetooth syncing is really good on the Mac! I use it with my Motorola V500 and its really easy to use and works really well (I now sync my contacts and calender really easily!) sells the iSync add-in which allows you to sync your Mac with Pocket PC.

You can send files over bluetooth from a Mac. I am not sure about to pocket PC but it is highly likely to work, if i where you i'd send an email to markspace.