MacBook Pro new arrivals thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NeuronBasher, Feb 21, 2006.

1. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro arrived just under a half an hour ago. I'm typing this in Safari on it right now. So far, in the extremely limited use I have had, it's everything I hoped for and more. I couldn't be happier with it right now.

I'm happy to answer questions that anyone might have, but I'll be offline for a while. Going to install my second stick of memory to bring it up to 2GB and reinstall 10.4.5 from scratch -- just because. :)

2. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

When you get it all maxed out and set up properly, see how long it takes to boot up and log in.

Congrats on getting one. :)

3. meathed macrumors newbie

I'm just sitting here waiting for mine... it's killing me, it's on the truck and it's on the way...

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

5. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Oh yes, forgot about that. Also, can you specify energy settings like the current portables?

I read somewhere that it's managed automatically. :confused:

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

My friend's 2.0 GHz just arrived this morning, but he is pissed because his parents won't let him open it.

7. PeterKG macrumors 6502

How quiet is it? Do you hear the HD or fan noise? Hows the build? Any flaws? Is your LCD perfect? Or do you have dark corners, etc.?

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Battery Life and Airport Reception (From pics I think the airport antennas are at a new location)

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

why did you have to reinstall 10.4.5 - The laptop doesn't come with dells bloatware does it? hehe [​IMG]

2GB - wicked!

Can't wait for Rev B, will start saving next week when I get paid! [​IMG]

10. NeuronBasher thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update:

I installed the second 1GB memory module (damn, you need a TINY screwdriver to get the memory cover off!) and it seems to be working fine. Does anyone with an iMac Core Duo know how to tell if it's running in dual channel or not?

Airport reception has been fine in my house so far. The meter has been full no matter where I am in the house. Definitely better than my Dell or my wife's Compaq.

Time for the OS reinstall. I'll be back in a while.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Callibrating the battery

Is it best to start it up with it plugged in into you get a full charge and then let it fully uncharge until it dies? Or is it best not to plug it in and let it die to callibrate the battery.

12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

There are very specific calibration instructions on Apple's website which is accessible through the MacBook Pro's page.

Here is the link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Why are you reinstalling OSX? Is that recommended?

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I always do a fresh install of OSX on my new rigs. Strip away all the different languages, Office Test Drive, print drivers I'll never use, and you can get the full OS in under 2GB (saving roughly 2GB total) without the iLife Apps.

15. NeuronBasher thread starter macrumors regular

In all honesty, it was probably unnecessary. You can save a few gigabytes of space by deselecting the languages and printer drivers that you don't need when you install. You can always clean up an existing installation, but I just wanted to start in a known clean state that I configured to my needs.

Besides, I haven't installed OSX in a long time and I wanted to walk through the process so I won't have to fumble around if I need to reinstall in an emergency.

16. NeuronBasher thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to calibrate my battery tonight so that I'll be able to give an accurate report of this hopefully tomorrow.

17. Koutsi macrumors newbie

Could someone please tell which resolutions MacBook Pro supports for an external LCD display? I'd need 1360/1366/1368 x 768 pixels for my LCD tv. Thanks a lot! I have the 2 GHz MBP coming late next month.

18. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

It supports upto 2560 x 1600. It can run the 30" Apple Cinema display without issue.

19. g0gie macrumors regular

I got my macbook this morning... and after 3 hours... my HD DIed!!!!!!!!!! OMGOMOGMOGMOGOO. i had the 7200rpm model CTO too....

20. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

are you serious? bummer.

21. asencif macrumors 6502

Looks like you might be the first casualty. So the machine won't boot up at all huh? DO you happen to have Diskwarrior?

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Really? Did you drop it or anything? What exactly happened before it died?

23. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Mine arrived this morning (2.0 stock) and it's awesome! Build quality is fantastic (better than the Powerbook G4 Dual layer I sold to buy this). No dead pixels and it's fast :)

24. g0gie macrumors regular

didnt drop it or anything. DId a clean install of OSX. All was good. isntalled some widgits played with frontrow and photobooth allw as good. Was inthe middle of isntalling XCODE when everything froze. now only get white screen and a clicking nise :(

25. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

that's the worst thing I've ever heard in my entire life!