Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff^d

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Hi, I just received a 2.4 MBP yesterday. I tried to calibrate the battery according to Apple's instructions, and now it seems to be dead. It will not power up, the power LED on the Mag Safe adapter does not light up when plugged in, and the battery shows one green LED flashing quickly. I've tried resetting the SMC, reseating the battery, cleaning the adapter contacts, etc.

I fully discharged the battery last night and today, and was able to connect the AC adapter and power it up without a problem a few hours ago. It charged for about an hour, then I installed Windows using Boot Camp, all the while plugged in. It shut off randomly during some Windows updates, presumably due to low battery, then it would boot into OS X but not charge. It eventually fully discharged again, and now has been plugged in for about an hour, showing no signs of life.

Any ideas? I'm calling Apple tomorrow, but did I do something wrong?

jeff^d

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Apple is sending out a new power adapter today. I'll post an update in 5-7 business days, or whenever it arrives.

jeff^d

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I received the new power adapter today, and everything seems to be fixed. A recap of the problem for others:

1) Fully discharged battery in order to calibrate it

2) Charged for an hour, turned back on, appeared to be fine

3) Shut off while working with no warning signs, battery indicator flashing

4) Turned on and charged sporadically, eventually the power LED on the adapter went out

5) Reset SMC, reseated battery, checked contacts, no luck

6) Apple conclusion = power adapter dead

7) New adapter = problem solved (called 11/30, received 12/4)

ZAK248313

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
Had the same problem with my 2.8- it isnt the power cable.

DOA'ed it- and they're sending me a 2.93 as the replacement- not a bad trade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.