MacBook Pro: now or wait until Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Argelius, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Argelius macrumors 6502

    Argelius

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2005
    #1
    I am thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Pro. Was all ready to trot down to the Apple Store (should it be open on Jan 1st...), but I then remembered that Leopard is on the horizon.

    Am I correct that it would be dumb to get a new Mac now given that in a few (?) months the new version of the OS will be out and I'll have to chunk down some additional cash for it? (I'm guessing that Apple isn't giving free upgrade coupons out with the Macs yet...)

    Thanks.
     
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

    BoyBach

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    At the very least wait until after Macworld next week. You never know what will be released/updated! iLife '07 is a given, plus there's always the possibility of a hardware update.
     
  3. Sesshi macrumors G3

    Sesshi

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2006
    Location:
    One Nation Under Gordon
    #3
    I think it makes sense to wait if you don't actually need it now. Quite apart from Leopard, the core Macbook Pro motherboard & the subsystems around it has been out for a while now and is almost certainly up for a refresh.
     
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

    mklos

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2002
    Location:
    My house!
    #4
    I would never wait for a new OS to come out to make a computer purchase. Personally, I want my own standalone copy of the OS. That way if you ever get rid of that Mac for whatever reason you still have your own copy of the OS. The restore DVDs can ONLY be used on the product it came with.

    Leopard isn't going to be released anytime soon. You're probably looking at least 2 or 3 months before its released. I find it silly to wait 2 or 3 months for a computer just for a new OS.

    The only thing I would maybe do is wait until after MacWorld and you may be able to get iLife '07 free (pending its released), or at least for a significant discount, paying only a small shipping charge.
     
  5. mklos macrumors 68000

    mklos

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2002
    Location:
    My house!
    #5
    MacBook Pros were just announced in October! I hardly think its time for an update....
     
  6. phungy macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
  7. Sesshi macrumors G3

    Sesshi

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2006
    Location:
    One Nation Under Gordon
    #7
    That was a minor change + drop-in of Core 2 Duos. I'd say it's fairly likely that there'll be some rearrangement of the innards after the next couple of months as although the Core 2 Duo is of course very much current, what's around it is becoming less leading edge.
     
  8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #8
    definitely wait till MW...jst to be safe..is 2 weeks going to kill you?...but ya...leopard's a little bit of time...and i doubt that apple will introduce a new OS and new hardware (maybe a processor upgrade, but i dont see a drastic change)
     
  9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #9
    Leopard will take time, as others have said, and you have to judge whether this will be worth it... but also keep in mind that when Leopard starts shipping it will have the following effects:

    1) it may be close to the next MBP hardware update (expected in spring, around April when the Santa Rosa platform comes out with the Crestline chipset/the faster version of Merom/updated intel wireless with 802.11n/Robson Flash Cache) and you might want to decide if it's worth it to hold out for that update. I would for the sake of Robson flash, if they implement it.
    2) Leopard will probably have a few kinks with the 10.5.0 release... a few .x updates will iron these out probably.
     
  10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

    BoyBach

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #10

    I learnt from experience!

    I bought the iSight G5 iMac when it was released in October, and then it was the first Mac to 'go Intel' the following January. You never know what could be released or updated at Macworld.
     
  11. alFR macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    #11
    Personally I've been waiting for MWSF, as I have only been in the position to buy since mid-December and

    (a) didn't really need the machine before January
    (b) wanted to get the holidays out of the way before buying as I was busy with family stuff etc.

    I debated waiting for Leopard but decided I probably wouldn't want it until the first couple of bug-fix releases were out anyway, which is looking like being May/June if it's released in April: I don't really want to wait 6 months for my new laptop!

    I also considered waiting for Santa Rosa but decided that it looks like more of an incremental update than anything revolutionary. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but a speed bump, 802.11n, improved boot times and longer battery life seem to be the main benefits and from what I've seen the current MBP seems fast enough for me, boots in under 30s, has a 802.11n-capable wireless chip in it already and has reasonable battery life. I also doubt that the MBPs will see Santa Rosa before May/June or later, given Intel's H1 2007 release timetable and how long it took Apple to put the C2D chips in the MBP after they were released.

    Anyway, the bottom line is that I'll be ordering sometime next week after the MW keynote (presuming all the major announcements will be made during that). If you look too much to the next "big thing" that's coming out you could wait forever.
     
  12. StealthRider macrumors 65816

    StealthRider

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2002
    Location:
    Yokosuka, Japan
    #12
    Santa Rosa's biggest update IMO would be the true 64-bit architecture - 4GB of RAM would be possible, rather than the 3GB available now.
     
  13. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

    aaron.lee2006

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2006
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #13
    After MacWorld just to be sure :) Rather be safe then sorry?
     
  14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

    mjstew33

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Illinois
    #14
    Agreed. I won't buy another Apple product until then.
     
  15. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #15
    I want the UltraThin 12" MBP with ilife 07's and Leopard. Big time.
     
  16. Sesshi macrumors G3

    Sesshi

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2006
    Location:
    One Nation Under Gordon
    #16
    Despite my professed aversion to Apple hardware in general I know if it comes out I'd end up snapping it up. I will probably bitch about it later :p but that would be really, really appealing.
     
  17. dongmin macrumors 68000

    dongmin

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    #17
    It sounds like you're not in a hurry. If that's the case, then by all means, wait. Personally I anticipate some moderate design changes in the next revision (which will probably come in Feb-March) like user-removable HDD, magnetic latch, and possibly a new graphics card.

    Leopard, as others have mentioned, is a few months off, imo. Jobs will unveil the secret features at MWSF (probably an overhaul of the UI). Apple will probably then take a few months to get the bugs out before releasing it. Expect the April-May time frame.
     
  18. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

    Mac'Mo

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    NYC
    #18
    i'd say if you can wait, wait for leopard, according to rumors, it shouldn't be THAT long a wait. but then again when waiting for an Apple, it may be drawn out
     
  19. stevento macrumors 6502

    stevento

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #19
    do you live in manhattan? i love that apple store.
    i think its usually better to wait to buy instead of trying to upgrade.
     
  20. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

    skinnylegs

    Joined:
    May 8, 2006
    Location:
    San Diego
    #20
    I normally say why wait when you can be enjoying but with Macworld so close.....
     
  21. mac-er macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    #21
    If you can wait at all, wait.
    If you have a choice between having the OS pre-installed versus upgrading, you want to have a pre-installed version.
     
  22. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #22
    That's what people thought when they bought the HD Powerbook before Christmas in '05. Imagine their shock when their $2000 laptops instantly becomes $1000 in just 2 months... :D
     
  23. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #23
    I dont understand why all of you are saying WAIT just becuase of an OS upgrade in the somewhat near future.

    Assuming Apple follows the pricing on Tiger, Leopard will be $129. Thats not a lot of $$ for an OS upgrade. If you need a MBP buy it, if you want Leopard buy it when it comes out.

    The only reason I can see waiting is the Macworld Conference that is a week away, if there arent any updates announced I say buy the MPB and enjoy it. Worry about the few buck Leopard will cost in a few months.
     

Share This Page