MacBook Pro NVIDIA Chipset?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by neowillendit, Dec 12, 2009.

1. macrumors member

neowillendit

I believe this question belongs under "Windows on the Mac" instead of "Hardware" because my fellow Windows friends will be more knowledgable for this. Question is, I'm trying to update my nForce Chipset drivers from NVIDIA's page...what nForce Chipset does my MacBook Pro v.5.3 (June 2009) have?

Thank you all in advance :apple:

2. macrumors 601

ayeying

Don't need to? nVidia doesn't have the correct nForce drivers anyways, and the last time I tried, I screwed up the SATA drivers.

3. thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

I don't understand, does NVIDIA provide Apple with a custom chipset? Why else wouldn't NVIDIA have the drivers to install to my Windows 7 64-Bit?

What Windows OS did you last attempt to install chipset drivers to?

4. macrumors 601

ayeying

Windows Vista and Windows 7. Both 32 and 64 bit editions.

It's not so much of a "custom" chipset, it's a mobile chipset vs the desktop. There's differences there. Even Intel made boards recommend looking to the OEM for drivers rather than using their site.

5. thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Ohhhhh, so there's no mobile chipset drivers available from NVIDIA? The drivers here are only for desktop chipsets?

6. macrumors regular

I guess there would be a way to make them work (modded .inf files etc) but I really don't see a reason. It's not like your comp is going to be faster by doing this and has someone else posted before you will probably end up screwing up something in the process.

7. thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Obviously, since you posted on a thread that was about ninjapenguin and myself having problems with our hard drives, I'd like to make sure I have the best chipset drivers for things like my USB Controller and DMA Controller...obviously if there are better options, then I may not continue to have problems...same for ninjapenguin.

8. macrumors 601

ayeying

Honestly, there's no such thing as "best" drivers. There's only "stable" drivers, ones which programmers coded somehow, properly and less likely to crash and stall. But all drivers, will crash and stall depending on the variables.

However, if you were to install modded drivers, you take stability on a rocky road. There's chances that drivers would either: not work, or be unstable.

The drivers provided by Apple would be the best for your system so far. I understand Apple's going to release updated drivers, support for Windows 7. It's best to wait until then.

For your video card, you can update to 195.65(?) drivers located at nvidia.com.

9. thread starter macrumors member

neowillendit

Well I downloaded the nForce Package v.15.51 available here: and the Ethernet Card and SMU Controller had updated drivers available...everything else is up to date from Boot Camp v.3.0 from Snow Leopard Disc.

I also installed the NVIDIA Video drivers v.195.62 official installer for notebooks and grabbed an Modded INF from LaptopVideo2Go and these drivers fix a LOT of Windows 7 visual quirks although I'm seeing decreased gaming performance (maybe 1 less FPS in Grand Theft Auto IV)...no big deal considering the headway NVIDIA made here in stability and fixes. :)