Macbook pro or Powerbook g4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by theknowles, May 1, 2006.

1. theknowles macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2006
    just a bit of advice needed, i posted a similar thread but it didnt get much interest.

I am needing a decent laptop mainly for video and still editing. I currently own a dell 4700 with all the usual specs, running photoshop cs, and the rest of the adobe suit (afx pro 6, premiere pro, encore etc) and a trv900 camcorder. I have pretty much defintaly decided to go mac, and am looking at the macbook pro and powerbook g4. what i really needed to know was is there any way to get apps like FCP 5 working on the macbook pro as i can get all this software free through school etc, or would i just have to fork out even more for 5.1. Would you say that id just be better getting a powerbook now or will i later regret this?

here is a email i got when asking a macbook pro owner about FCP:
    "hey whats up bro, yea i'm in a film class and im just uploading all the software for it, i have all the usual ****. fcp and all. It all runs at reg speeds, I'm pretty sure it just runs at the same speed of the powerbook, so i mean ill have to wait to get some of the universal stuff so i can use the speed on this thing. But yea definitely get the macbook, this thing does wonders. I have all older nonunversal software and im not being slowed down, its just the same speed as the powerbook, so i mean this thing will only get faster as more software comes out. Hope it helps, me and zander are going to check the speed on this thing compared to his powerbook and see if theres much of a difference, buts its not a hassle running the older stuff."

any help, information or advice would be much appriciated.
    thanks, alex.

edit: can a mod move this to the digital video section?
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would buy a MacBook Pro over a Powerbook G4. Both systems are fine machines to be sure, but the MBP is much faster.

Not sure about FCP5 vs FCP5.1 dilemna, but I think that I would just bite the bullet and go with the MBP and FCP 5.1 for the best in performance. :)