Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anzor77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,
Would macbook pro 13.3 work well with programs like Archicad (or other cad systems that use 3d rendering and design)? I wanted to know this because I'm really sceptic about its graphics card Intel HD 4000, which is not recommended by for use in cad systems.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
From Graphisoft's "Mac Specific Recommendations" for Archicad:

For the best performance choose Mac computers with dedicated graphics cards. Integrated Intel HD 3000, 4000 cards work with ArchiCAD, but their performance is limited.

My interpretation of this is that Graphisoft is telling you, "Hey, it'll work on the 13" MBP, but we wouldn't use it on anything less than a 15" MBP."

Graphisoft's system requirements for Archicad 16:

Multicore processor is recommended to exploit ArchiCAD 16 performance capabilities. Read more about multiprocessing.

This suggests to me that you will get much better performance with the quad-core i7 CPU found in the 15" MBP's, over the dual-core i7 top-of-the-line 13" MBP.

anzor77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Yep, that's how I understood it too. It's interesting. If it actually works and I could do small to medium projects that would be fine with me.

Just thought maybe somebody had actual experience using MBP 13.3 and hd 4000.

Thanks for your help anyways!

Qodo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Hi,
Would macbook pro 13.3 work well with programs like Archicad (or other cad systems that use 3d rendering and design)? I wanted to know this because I'm really sceptic about its graphics card Intel HD 4000, which is not recommended by for use in cad systems.

I'm using Macbook Pro 15' 2010 build and it works absolutely fine with ArchiCad 15, AutoCad 13, heavy layered Photoshop files, etc.

Hope this helps! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.