MacBook Pro Power Button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ef651100, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ef651100 macrumors newbie

ef651100

Hi all, as it is my first post here.

I have been a happy MacBook Pro owner since last December. Travelled around with it and love it. It's a great machine =)

There is just a really small problem... the power button. The left side "sinked" in quite a bit and the button is now sitting slanted 10 degrees to the left. I doesn't really affect anything really, but it just doesn't look right. I do have AppleCare but I don't know about what I should do. I baby my MacBook Pro very much and I don't have super-natural strength to make the power button sink like that =P

So, I'm just wondering, I'm in Hong Kong, and I kinda unscrewed a few screws to look at the power button myself, it seems like there wasn't enough adhersive to hold it. Should I still give them a call and let them know about my power button? There are no Apple Stores in Hong Kong thus I'm not familiar with the procedure here. I did own an iBook (in Canada) before and the service there was great. Do I call them to have them pick it up? If that is the case, how long does it normally take (for something small like this)? I kinda need the laptop for my work but I could live without it for about a week or so.

Thanks in advance. Happy :apple: day =)

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Call AppleCare.

While your machine is still under warranty, be sure to buy the extended AppleCare warranty as well as laptops do tend to be a bit more...er...tempermental.

3. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

this happened to me to. I baby mine as well. I haven't taken it in to apple care yet cause i hate the thought of them opening it. oh well. some day.

4. ef651100 thread starter macrumors newbie

ef651100

Phew, I called AppleCare and they told me to take it to a service center. Then I took my MBP to Apple Service Center today and they seemed quite concerned about it and took it in right away. The technician was all polite and stuff like that and they said it'd take a few days for them to fix it. I sure am glad =)

Hopefully I'll get it back as soon as possible. And orbitalpunk, if you're not happy with the button, just tell them. I'm sure they'll fix it. I don't think there's anything to be afraid of. If they broke it, you'll probably get a new one anyways, so no worries =)

5. joshuastree macrumors newbie

Power button sinks on left side

This also happened to me. I will be calling apple care tomorrow. I will let you all know what happens.

6. iBecks macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, mine isn't a 10 degree slant, but if you run your finger over the button and the side casing you can feel how uneven it is.

At the moment it doesn't bother me, didn't think anymore of it, until I came across this thread.

If it gets worse I will take it into an Apple store to get it fixed.

7. littleapple macrumors newbie

Same problem...

It's my first message here, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one worrying about this damned power button.
    I bought my macbook pro last December, and I noticed the problem two months ago : the left side of the power button sinked about 10 degrees.
    First I did'nt worry about it, but I asked about it in a Apple Center in Germany and they told me one of their customers had the same problem : apparently, they had to change the whole computer case :(
    Then I called Apple Care, they never heard of such a problem - but i brought my computer to my Apple service center. They opened it and fixed the problem, seemed to mean I was too brutal with this button, which isn't true at all. They also told me the sinking button could end up damaging the loudspeaker.

The problem is : I've been there two weeks ago and now the button is sinking again, I really don't know what to do.

8. dbutdorf macrumors newbie

me too! - seems like a bit of a wide-spread issue

I have this issue as well. I didn't buy the warranty, but does anyone know if this problem is covered under the standard warranty?

DB

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That is absolutely something that should be covered by the standard warranty. If anyone at Apple tells you otherwise then you need to speak to someone higher up in the chain.

10. RideauOsprey macrumors newbie

seems to be a common problem

From the start I notice that the power button seemed a little flimsy. And I felt I was gentle in using it BUT over time it seem to stick more and more. Now, it is completely recessed and loose, I can still use it to power on. I'll be calling AppleCare - I've only had the notebook a couple months. Anyone know where the Apple service centers are in Germany?

11. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

unless your flying a lot, i just don't know what the power button is for. Anyways, good luck guys with getting it fixed

12. p.schwenke macrumors newbie

Power-button tilt an the waranty has run out

Hi there does anybody what I can do with my macbook pro which i bought 1 1/2 years ago when the button is sinking in????

Is there a way to repair it myself?
    or does anybody know if mac still covers it or what it costs???

It´d bee really good to know!
    All the best!
    Peer

13. BLAFUFC macrumors newbie

I tried to repair it myself, but it sunk again. So I had to bring it in. You can bring it in because its a factory defect and they will fix in same day.

14. Moriarty macrumors 6502

You know what is also about 1 1/2 years old aside from your Macbook Pro?

This thread.

:p:rolleyes:

15. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

this happened to my mbp as well... and has turned out to be somewhat of a nightmare. if the power button being sunk it doesn't really bother you, i suggest you think twice about taking it in. when i took mine in, they decided to replace the entire top case. which was all fine and dandy until i noticed that some of the keys in the lower right hand corner and upper right were sticking up in the corners. i then noticed large gaps in some areas where the top case meets the bottom case. later on, i noticed that the back lighting on the keyboard wasn't working at all. i took it in again, explained everything to the "genius" and had everything repaired. i took the machine home and noticed that the caps lock button was now sticking up on one side. i brought it yet again and the genius supposedly did something but it didn't help. the caps lock still sticks up to this day and my keyboard has never been the same. i honestly would've rather had the power button sunk in a little than have my keyboard all jacked up!

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You may have to repair it yourself; I believe it's part of the top case, so you may have to replace the entire top case for that.

So what's wrong with searching and reviving a thread for good reason?

17. tim71725084 macrumors newbie

Power button fixed

I too had a Macbook Pro 17 with the indented button problem
    I was quoted $300 Australian dollars to get a new case top by my local Apple store, I was pretty glum about it so decided to have a go myself.
    I just took the top case off to have a look and when I went to press the power button it was snug and in its place.
    I had tugged and twisted the case a bit before it came off not realising there were a few extra screws I had missed
    Something about the all twisting to get the case off must have allowed the button to slip back into place.
    Seems its held in place by some sort of tension against the speaker grille
    I followed a you tube video on how to remove the case
    Hope this helps someone out there!

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I bought my MBP back in Feb 2007, so its way out of warrenty now - I opened up the case and pushed the power button back flush with the case and its was fine, until I was a bit heavy handed and pushed it down again. I keep meaning to open it up and fix it a bit more securely with some glue, but I haven't had the time

pac

:D

19. Beaverfish macrumors regular

Me too

I have a MBP (see sig) and i have the exact same problem............. ill get it fixed ..... someday......!