MacBook Pro problems, need some advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noelister, Apr 3, 2006.

1. noelister macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am starting to notice some problems with my expensive machine. First off, this is probably on of the first batches of the MacBook Pro that shipped (2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 7200 100 GB hard drive) and all I have done is upgrade the memory (1 GB stick, total of 2 GB).

I have many of the same problems that everyone else is having. Namely the uneven backlighting ( seems like it is may be getting worse), I have a couple dead/stuck pixels, whining noise, and finally it gets quite warm after using flash and other apps I use for college (gets hotter than my old powerbook). Is it to late to do anything?

I have been afraid that if I call they will tell me to just live with it :( Also, the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away. What should I do about these problems?

Thanks,
    N

2. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Call them and tell them about the problems. They should at least be able to replace the backlight/display.

4. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I will that here soon. Do you think that they will say anything about waiting so long to call? Also how quick are they at repairs? This is because I use this machine dailey for college and work. Also Should I take out my extra stick of memory if they have me send it in?

Thanks

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

yes, take out any added memory - they might just replace the machine. therefore I'd back everything up too just in case.

They are actually very fast with replacements/repairs

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You have a one year warranty. You have probably waited beyond the DOA period where you could ask for an outright swap or refund, so you will have to go through the warranty repair procedure. They will probably offer to send you a shipping box for it to be shipped to Apple.
    Yes. Never send any third-party goods back with a machine for warranty repair. Back up your data, too - you may not get the same machine back.

7. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help, I will give them a call between class and work today.

THanks again

8. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I called today and explained the issues I was having. the only one that justified repair was the noise...:confused: Like others I use this for design for college classess and the uneven backlighting was my main concern (I can live with the two dead pixels). Seemed odd to me. Will they check the LCD during repair? Also, they told me to leave the Extra 1 GB stick of RAM in the machine...

9. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

Good News

I got the MacBook back today and all is well. Even a new LCD free of dead pixels!!!:D

10. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

I am very happy with Apple and how they handled the issues I was having. Thumbs up to Apple:D

11. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Did you mail it out for repair? Did they fix the whine noise?

I just called in for repair for the noise (whine) and heat issue. I am sending them my MBP when they send me the box and package label.

12. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

they don't completely replace your computer, do they? i just sent mine in for repair this morning for issues with the power button and it being asleep. a week doesn't seem too long to wait.

13. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

It doesn't, but you shouldn't have such issues in the first place. Things like this shouldn't be happening on a $2,500+ laptop. You shouldn't have to send your laptop for repair within weeks of purchasing it! There should be no excuses at all (including first revision, blah blah blah), the Macbook pro should have thoroughly been tested for bugs before being sold in the market. Again, the same thing happened when they were in a hurry to release the nano before any competitor can promote a similar designed mp3 player and the result... A scratch happy iPod!

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

generally speaking, any $2500 laptop, or even $1500 dollar laptop should be problem free

but being an early adopter of someting like os x, some years back, or an intel mac or mac book pro of late, is going to come with problems...my intel imac has some issues and it's obvious that the revision 2 intel imac will have most, if not all, of the major issues i am encountering mostly solved and ironed out

it was a huge transition for apple and in the long run, it should prove to be a smart move...i urge all to wait for a revision 2 on any intel mac

apple, and any other PC companies, almost always have early adopter issues with new operating systems or new processors...at least when i bought my clamshell ibook, it has os 9, but a couple of months earlier, it had os 8.5 and i am glad i went with 9.x instead of 8.x ;)

15. noelister thread starter macrumors 6502

They did not replace the Lappy. What the sheet said is that the replaced the LCD panel as well as an inverter of somesort.