Macbook Pro Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by walleyealx, Feb 26, 2007.

1. walleyealx macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    Im planning on buying my first mac in mid march. It seems like there are going to be some big revisions for the macbook pro in may. Are they worth the wait?

Thanks for any input!
  2. czeluff macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2006
    in my opinion

imo, WAIT! I bought the MBP the day they upgraded them in November, and couldn't be happier. I waited 6+ months for it to transition to Merom. Now i'm trying to find a way to sell this thing a week before June so that I can get the latest again!

Possible new features:

LED backlit screen: brighter and longer battery life
    Santa Rosa: extremely quick booting times as well as faster application launching, and more battery life.
    Small bumb on CPU performance
    Possible GPU upgrade
    Installed with Leopard already on it.

You'll be happier if you wait. If you buy one now, and they upgrade in June, yours will fall in value by about 300-400. Save the money. It's a hard wait (trust me, i know) but in the end youll have the best MBP money can buy, with the latest OS!
  3. copperhead macrumors member

Feb 24, 2007
    i agree with him/her

but also, how do you think the prices will compare to how they are now once revisions are made?
  4. dbater macrumors member

Nov 4, 2006
    Victoria, Canada
    Do you really need one now? If so buy it now, if not wait. Of course once the new one comes out, Intel will have a new chip and Apple will be out with another one, so.....maybe you should wait for a year :) One can wait forever.

I am waiting for the new Mac Pro which is a real waiting game, mean while I have my MacBook Pro which is a great machine....

I recommend to wait.....
  5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Balancing wants and needs is my own personal dilemma. I'd love a MacBook Pro, but as I don't need one it makes (incredibly painful) sense to wait for some improvements over the current model - and at least Leopard.
  6. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It will drop a lot.

Look at the Core Duo 2.0ghz Macbook Pros in Apple's refurbished store, and realise that these machines used to go for $1999... that's what's going to happen to your machine (ie: 1 generation out of date) when the new revisions are released.
  7. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2007
    Digital World
    Wait for Leopard

Leopard is definatly worth the wait.
  8. copperhead macrumors member

Feb 24, 2007

but i mean the NEW macbooks, what will those prices be like compared to how the current macbooks are
  9. walleyealx thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
  10. copperhead macrumors member

Feb 24, 2007
    thats what im hoping for as well, im in the same boat as you are. i think it's definitely worth the least for leopard to be included