MacBook Pro Questions (Please Help)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mob, May 29, 2006.

1. Mob macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have come to terms between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. I have chosen the Pro. I realized I wanna do some gaming on it, I dont like the glossy screen and i want a bigger screen and its a more powerful machine. I have a couple questions.

1) Can I upgrade the ram myself? like the Macbook, through the Battery Bay? or would that Void The AppleCare warrenty?

2) If I can upgrade it myself should i get a Gig of Ram slapped in it by Apple when i buy it or buy it off a website? if a website any good websites for a Canadian user like myself?

3) How are the issues that the MBP were plagued with? Is it getting any better?

Thanks Guys, If someone could Answer them that would be great later

- Mob

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, not sure physically where, but no, it does NOT void the warrranty.

You should get the most RAM for the least amount of sticks as you can afford from Apple. To save yourself a headache down the road, and to not waste money on 2x 512MB when you're going to immediately take out one of them and slap in a 1GB stick.

I haven't the faintest idea about #3.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's very much like the MacBook -- take out the battery, remove three screws that hold the battery cover on, and you're good to go. The hardest part for me was finding a phillips screwdriver small enough.

AFAIK, there are only three issues with the MBP:
    1. heat -- Apple released updated firmware that a lot of folks said helped
    2. lcd buzz (when the lcd isn't set to 100% bright) -- Apple will fix that if yours has it
    3. processor whine -- no Apple fix yet, although there are 3rd party programs you can run to silence it

4. Mob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for that

Wondering should i get apple to pop a Gig of ram in it or should i do that myself?

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

do it yourself, it is extremely easy, look here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_Pro_Users_Guide.pdf
    to see instructions w/ illustrations
    as for having apple put some in, depends on how much your going to buy, if you want 2GB and have 512MB in it already, have apple put just 1 1GB stick in, so you dont have to buy 2 1GB Sticks, just one. or ifyou want 1.5 Gb buy 1 GB separate etc.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't know how the Canadian prices are, but in the US, Apple wants $300 to add 1GB of memory.

I added it myself for $85 (well $90 with shipping) .. that's like 70% cheaper than Apple.

It's a snap (literally) to install. ;) If you're nervous about it, have a friend snag it in for you and buy him/her lunch -- you'll still save a few hundred dollars.