Macbook Pro Ram 1gig, 100$!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DickArmAndHarT, Aug 7, 2006.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Hey guys, check this out http://www.memoryx.net/ma463ll.html

Only 100$ for a gig stick. What a deal. I always buy my ram from crucial, but they dont even have MBP ram and havent for a few days, I think im gonna go with this. What do you think?"?

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't know about the legit-ness of some of the retailers, but i just looked on ramseeker.com, and the price for 1 GB sticks varies from $80-$150.
    Picture 1.png

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Crucial doesn't have MBP RAM? :confused:

Then what is it that I have installed in my MBP right now?

4. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Check avaliability for MBP Ram at Crucial, Not avaliable. And hasn't been, for as i said A few days.

5. jaisai01 macrumors member

go to frys online, its round 179 for 2 gb (2x1gb) and it works great . i have it in my mbp.. just thought iw ould let cha know.

A

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ah. I read your original post as implying that Crucial had never had MBP RAM. My bad.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Hey, don't buy from Crucial. Who knows, if you go in with a different machine, you might get a different price. Check out this thread.

8. gothicx00 macrumors member

Not so fast....

While $100 looks great for a 1gb stick of 5300(667mhz) there are better prices out there, such as New Egg

And the thing people don't understand is that ram is pretty much ram these days. Granted when you buy the highly touted Crucial or OZC memory, all it is really is sticks that have chips that came from batches with the least failure rate. So all you are paying for when you pay out the nose for RAM is a better chance at getting RAM that won't fail prematurly. I've used RAM from all manner of manufactuers but can tell you that the actual chips are made by no more than 3 manufactuers. And no matter what RAM i've ever used or how much i've paid, i've never had a stick fail on me. So to put it lightly, although you may increase the chance of a premature failure, it's only going to be by about 6-10%

So do i think it's worth it to pay $20-$40 less for RAM that has at most a 10% better chance of failing prematurly? I say yes primarily because i've never seen a stick of RAM in recent days that doesn't come with lifetime warrenty.

9. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

i got 2 1gig sticks on new egg for $140 shipped