Macbook Pro Ram & Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruceleeroy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    I have been posting threads like crazy so I apologize for all the questions but this is the first Mac I have actually owned.

I have a Macbook Pro 15.4 - 2.4GHz - 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

I know I can upgrade to 4 GB of ram but I wanted to know where you guys recommend and is there any ram that could void my Apple Care Warranty?

Second I have the 250 GB 5400 HD and I wanted to upgrade that as well. Again are there any specific shops you recommend and have had a good experience with and if I upgrade the Hard Drive does that void my Apple Care?

Lastly if I do upgrade my hard drive is it easy to put all the programs I have installed on the new one or do I have to re-install everything?

Sorry for the length.

2. macrumors member

ram - OWC
    hdd - newegg

would be my recommendation.

newegg is running a promo now for the intel x25-m plus an 8gb flash drive for $314 i think. That's a steal.

3. macrumors 68040

Dwalls90

4. macrumors member

veterator

I got 4GB ram and a 500GB HD and external case for the old internal from OWC for about $200 total.

5. macrumors regular

If you're willing to pay 314$ for a 80gb drive... To me it's a steal if they sell it for that price... (even if it's the best SSD out there, I can't seem to see a good reason to buy 80gb disk at the price of a 3tb 7200rpm HDD)

6. thread starter macrumors member

This is perfect! Thanks a lot and I assume from all the posts that none of this will void my warranty?

Where can I find OWC's website?

7. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

No, HDD and RAM upgrades do not void your warranty - you just don't get coverage for those parts.

OWC website could be found at www.macsales.com

8. thread starter macrumors member

I cant believe how fast you guys reply this is a great board. Thanks for all the help.

One last thing with the Hard Drive is it easy to copy over all my installed programs to the new HD or do I have to reinstall everything?

9. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

You have options. You can clone your HDD and after the upgrade you can restore that image. (Try searching for this in the forum as I have not done this). What I did was I like to keep everything clean so I just backed up my important files (documents, pictures) perform a clean install and then restore them. Depending on what you have currently installed you can go either way.

10. thread starter macrumors member

Okay perfect thanks.

There is something I am confused about on the OWC page they list that the maximum amount of ram for my Macbook
    is 4GB yet they have a 6GB package as well. Is upgrading to 6 not recommended or something?

11. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

You could go 6GB but you won't get dual channel. Even without dual channel you shouldn't lose out on performance.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Is it worth it then to just get the 6GB?

13. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

If you have the money. I haven't checked the prices but I believe the price of one 4GB DIMM is up there. I think most would agree that 4GB is more than enough if you don't plan to do any virtualization.

14. thread starter macrumors member

I use Cinema 4D quite a bit on my Mac Pro at work so Im sure I would see some gains with that. Its about a $20 difference between the:
    4.0GB Upgrade
    (4096MB Module)
    $167.99

and the

6.0GB Upgrade Kit
    (4.0GB + 2.0GB Set)
    $189.99

Seems worth it.