MacBook Pro RAM = MacBook RAM????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoe11, May 23, 2006.

1. shoe11 macrumors member

Mar 3, 2005
    I purchased a 15" MBP about a month ago and subsequently ordered an additional 1GB stick from Crucial to max it out at 2GB. After that I decided to return the 15" (removing the extra Crucial 1GB) when the 17" was announced. I hadn't yet pulled the trigger on the 17" when the MacBook was released and now given it's specs and price I'm considering buying 2 MacBooks (one for me and one for my wife). Question is......would the 1GB Crucial RAM I purchased for the MBP work in the MacBook? Has anyone tried this?

As both the MBP and MB are using the same processors and DDR2-667 memory I'm quite certain I should be able to use it with no problems. The Crucial website lists different part numbers for each 1GB stick for the 15", 17" and MacBook, yet the specs are identical. I'm quite certain even with the different Crucial part #'s the ram should be interchangeable, but again curious to know if anyone has checked this out. Just wish Apple had seen fit to ship a MacBook configuration with a 1x512 or 1x1GB standard like on the MacBook Pro.

2. D34th macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2006
    Yes it should work. All new Intels use the same RAM, PC5300 DDR2 667MHz DIMM, 200 pin DIMM...