MacBook Pro RAM Upgrade - $72/GB - OmniTechnologies

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jkieffer72, May 11, 2006.

1. jkieffer72 macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    Thought I'd let everyone know about a good deal on RAM for your MacBook Pro!

Going thru you can get 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667Mhz for only $71.99

I ordered two, USPS Priority Mail shipping was only $4.99...

That's 2GB for under $150.00 - shipped!

I had never purchased from them before, but they claim a lifetime warranty and guaranteed compatability. Apparently they sell on Ebay with many positive feedback as well.

Only complaint from me was that my shipment was "Misrouted" by USPS and took a week to get here. This is not a problem with Omni Technologies, but with the post office!

Anyway, it installed easily, was recongized without any problem. I've been running since around noon today, no problems.

This same rame should work in your Intel Mac Mini or iMac as well!
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Never heard of em. If I were you, I'd go based on actual customer feedback (not the typical ebay cruft) etc., and the manufacturer of the RAM to determine whether or not it's good. RAM is most definately not something you want to skimp on.
  3. jkieffer72 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    I dunno; several thousand positive feed back is usually a pretty good indicator....

I did some more searching here on MacRumors; found some posts when I made it two works, rather than one... (Omni Technologies vs. Omnitechnologies..)

I just played World of Warcraft for an hour or more; no problems; still going strong.

I think it's a good deal... I guess maybe I have not tested completely, but I'm feeling good about my purchase. RAM doesn't _HAVE_ to be expensive!
  4. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've heard of them. I bought a stick of RAM from them for my TiBook. I dont want to scare you off, but I will say that I had trouble with their RAM...kernel panics on the two modules they sent me...BUT that was a completely different kind of RAM, so things may now be different. Their customer service when I sent it back was fair, they didn't give me much lip for the issues. Soooo, if you doesn't work out, you should be good to go. Worth a shot:) Wish you the best w/ them.
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    let us know how things turn out. I'd be interested in how things turn out
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The jury is still out on this batch of $70 DDR2 RAM -- some mail order vendors are honest enough to admit that it is not voltage stable enough to work in a MacBook Pro, and they recommend you buy their more expensive stuff.

There are a few sellers who "game" RAMSeeker and DealRAM. They offer a low priced module just to get the #1 position on the price search engine. But if you try to go through their normal web page, the RAM is higher priced.

I don't particularly trust companies who employ these tactics, or who use great sounding but meaningless phrases like
    "Hyperformance" and
    "Apple Certified Developer",
    "Factory tested and approved" (implying of course that Apple has tested and approved it - which is not true. The factory in question is their own so they can say whatever they want to) and
    "Fastest possible speed" (gimme a break, it's the Mac that sets the memory speed, not the other way around, so ANY compatible RAM runs at exactly the same speed as any other)
  7. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    i've ordered ram from them fact, i have 1GB from them in my intel imac right now...been working fine.
  8. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
  9. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    I dunno...several thousand positive feedback that may have zilch to do with my situation is meaningless to me..that's no indication of the quality of their products (who gave them positive feedback? people who have no idea wtf RAM is other than that they need it and they bought it and need to look at the manual to see how to install it...or people who like OCing their computers...or people who have the same exact Mac mini model I have...or...yeahhh..), maybe their service and occasionally the quality, sure...
    You know, it's pretty well known that RAM doesn't have to be overpriced, not expensive. A lot of really (almost suspiciously) cheap RAM tends to be of shoddy quality.

Everyone knows that RAM from Crucial or Apple is expensive, but they're guaranteed to work with no problems on your Mac. And usually the better RAM tends to be expensive - good Mushkin and OCZ RAM is $$ more compared with cheapo no-name brands, but the RAM that those two companies offer tend to come with various things you may perhaps want - better quality, better support, [better] memory timings... RAM isn't just a matter of how much there is or the maximum bandwidth.
  10. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2006
    I have to agree. I mean, great for you that you got lucky with cheap RAM, but I'm not going to be ordering from there. Taking risks that could affect a $2,000+ investment of mine is not something I want to do...
  11. iamhammill macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2006
    York, PA
  12. jkieffer72 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
  13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    has anybody experience/feedback on "other world computing".

their generic owc brand is $112 for 1GB for the MacBook.
    They also sell a Seagate 100GB 7200RPM harddisk for the MacBook for $210.
    Shipping is cheap.
  14. iCaffeine macrumors member

May 4, 2006
    no problems here, delivery was very fast. Very good ram at a great price!
  15. jkieffer72 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 4, 2003
    I've heard good things about this company, although I have never ordered from them myself..

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    OWC is a very good company. I've ordered from them several times and been very happy with quality, price, speed, and customer service. They're highly recommended here at MR.
  17. jhartung macrumors member

Feb 13, 2004
    Uggh. We just put in a gig stick from Omni into new MacBook. Won't start up, hangs on blue screen.

I have had a good experience with Other World Computing. Guess we might have to go back to them.