Macbook Pro RAM upgrade... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by korimickster, Mar 23, 2006.

1. korimickster macrumors newbie

Hey y'all...

I have a 1.83 Macbook Pro and only 512 RAM. I want to buy a gig, but have never upgraded RAM and don't know what to look for or how to do it.

If you could help me, I would appreciate it!

All best,

Corey

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I would go to this site:

http://dealram.com/

They have really good prices on RAM.

My name is Corey, too, by the way :)

3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It is the correct general spec but there is no guarantee one way or another whether it is Mac compatible. You'll also notice that Frys/Outpost makes you write to them by snail mail to find out the warranty on this part :eek:

You are better off ordering from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return (no restocking charge) if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, Data Memory Systems has the 1 Gb MacBook Pro guaranteed RAM for $113, so why even consider NewBestOutpostTigerEggFryBuy.com?

5. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

i found a site that had the warranty and contact information for Patriot. i could probably just go by that warranty info right? or do you think fry's carries their own warranty on it? i don't really mind buying online from them because i go to their physical store all the time.

EDIT: perhaps this needs its own thread (?), even if it's about MBP ram.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can try it if you don;t mind doing your own testing and taking / sending it back at your expense if it doesn't work. The manufacturer does not guarantee compatibility with your machine, only guarantees against defects in manufacture.