macbook pro reinstall of os x

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rishio, Oct 29, 2006.

1. rishio macrumors member

I'll be getting my c2d Macbook Pro any day now. I was wondering if there would be any benefit of formatting the hard drive and reinstalling OS X on my new macbook.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Some people like to do a reinstall in order to get a clean install without unwanted programs and test drives and save some space. I don't find it necessary unless you think hard drive space will be at a premium on your machine.

3. joel8x macrumors newbie

I know guys who think that zeroing out the hard drive on a brand new machine will make some sort of difference, yet there is no reason to do this on a new one. There are apps out there to get rid of the localization files and printer drivers that you don't need - so that might be the best way to go to free up space. Otherwise, you don't need to reinstall - it won't make a difference.

4. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

On that thought, I am thinking about getting a MBP soon too, how do you remove all the test drives cleanly to conserve hard drive space?

5. joel8x macrumors newbie

It depends on the application. Deleting the app from the applications folder is the first step. Google each app you want to banish to see if they load anything anywhere else on the machine.

6. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

You can benefit by doing a "Custom" install and removing the languages, printer drivers and additional software that you don't need/want.