Macbook Pro Revision B

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mperreault, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. mperreault macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #1
    I’m thinking about buying a Macbook Pro before I move to Milan in Mid-august… I will be traveling a lot while I’m there and I would like to have a laptop. Anyway I would like to wait for the next revision of the laptop to be released, as I’m worried about being stuck with a lemon…

    So far I’ve heard about the screwy speaker problem.
    http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/2006/03/07#macbook_speakers_revisited

    And the flickering screen problem…
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbookpro.ars/3

    And not to mention talk of the Intel Merom (64bit mobile processor) which were supposedly supposed to be in the Macbooks but Intel wasn’t able to produce them in time…
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/11/merom_to_be_launched_in_september/

    Anyway I will be leaving in Mid August and would like to have the laptop in hand before I leave. What are your thoughts on this subject… I don’t think I have any hope of getting a macbook with a Merom processor in it.. However do you think it’s likely that Apple will release a Revision B laptop prior to my leaving that would address the above problems.. I would imagine more of these problems will crop up as time goes on considering it’s new..

    Any thoughts?
     
  2. kingtj macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2003
    Location:
    Brunswick, MD
    #2
    Thoughts?

    Yes... My thought is, don't be in a huge rush to order a MacBook Pro. I'm not saying you need to wait for a "revision B", but rather, wait another month or two for Apple to iron out some of these issues and start shipping corrected machines.

    (This is very similar to when the Powerbook G4 15" models first came out and many people reported spots appearing on their screens. They didn't officially make a "revision B" to correct it, but they obviously made some design changes, mid-stream, to ensure the problem didn't keep popping up on the models that shipped after the first couple batches.)

    I pre-ordered my MacBook Pro and after waiting a month for it, received one that was completely dead. I got an RMA for it the same day and shipped it back to Apple. I was promised they'd get me another one out as soon as possible - but now, it shows it won't even ship until March 27th. Other people in my same situation are reporting similar delays. So I suspect this means Apple is already holding back on Macbook Pro shipments while they try to iron out some of these issues.
     
  3. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    I love Apple, and will never go back to the dark side, but sometimes it gets frustrating being a Beta tester...:p
     
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #5
    Is this the 1000th thread about Rev.B Intel Macs?
     
  6. treblah macrumors 65816

    treblah

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    Location:
    29680
    #6
    Que? At IDF they said 2H '06 not Q4.
     
  7. Svennig macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2006
    #7
    Thats an interesting idea - I wonder if it is true... How many others are reporting similar things?
     
  8. mperreault thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #8
    I hope this is true...

    It would be irresponsible of them to ship something with a known problem... And I'd imagine it would cost them more in the long run... My GF had the logic board in her iBook replaced 3 times... and when it broke for the 4th time they decided to replace the 2year old G3 with a new G4... And it hasn't broken at all, yet...
     
  9. blckout20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2006
    Location:
    CT
    #9
    I heard that they are fixing early bugs reported on MBP's and they are due to be beginning to reship 3/20/06. I don't remember where I heard this so it may not be correct but that's just what I remember. Mine isn't due to ship until 3/29 and until now I never realized how long March was.
     
  10. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

    Texas04

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #10
    The little noise is nothing big and is being attributed to normalness in labtops. I have one here and only in quiet enviorments do I hear it and its normal for me. Not that big of a deal. I have no flcikering screen, biggest thing is the heat when im editing and authoring DVD's... Other than that I love my MacBook... But Since your moving in August, I would get one then, unless you absolutley need it now
     
  11. mperreault thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #11
    So if I want it in my hand mid august when should i order it? June?
     
  12. aamiic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    #12
    Buy what you need when you need it. It's that simple.

    This revision b stuff is garbage. Apple (and Intel, and many other computer companies) have been making computers for years.. they know what they are doing.. sure bugs are to come up.. but you know what.. the change they make in revB may be an issue too.

    You can wait forever for the 'ultimate' computer.. only to ultimatetly be way too caught up in the 'oh but if I just wait a few more weeks X will come out'.
     
  13. stillwater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2004
    Location:
    Rowley, MA
    #13
    I have a number of rev A Apple products including an MBP and the only problem I've had was a bum hard drive in a G5 iMac. The fact is Apple is not only one of the more reliable brands, but they also have the highest rated customer service (according to Consumer Reports).

    Every new product has issues, but forums like this one make them seem more widespread than they actually are. I mean, how many people start new threads to say "My MBP works exactly as it should"?

    If you wait until close to your departure date to get your new Mac, What if it has some issue that requires service or repair? Will you have time to get it fixed before you go? That is not a situation I'd want to be in.

    I think it makes sense to have the new machine for at least two months before departure because defects usually show up pretty soon after purchase.

    As for me, I'm glad I have my MBP now. It's a nice step up from my rev A Ti book.

    Good luck.
     
  14. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #14
    Ignore the speaker problem. Why? Because there's a third speaker on the left side. It's been there since the switch to aluminum.
     
  15. mperreault thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #15
    I'm not sure it is garbage... I think that the stats would show us that there are more problems with Rev A products than Rev B...

    Another though might be that the early adopters of Rev A products are more likely 'fanboys' and therefore more likely to have some 'Cognitive Dissonance' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance. Meaning because they've paid $2000ish for a new laptop from Apple (who they love!) The problems their rev A laptop are having are insignificant in their mind..

    That said, I Love Apple, and my response to all friends who want me to fix their broken windows box is... 'Buy an Apple'...

    I think stillwater put it best when he said..

    Which is a good example of the availability bias.
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&h...oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:Availability+bias
     

Share This Page