MacBook Pro & Scratches

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JohnEZ, Apr 17, 2006.

1. JohnEZ macrumors member

LOL. This post is going to make me sound incredibly vain. And I'll admit it--I am vain about my computer.

At any rate, is there any way to make the scratch any less noticeable? I mean it's a small thing as it is, something that nobody is going to notice except me. (it's my knowing that it's there that bothers me) I mean it's a small little scratch on the right side of the lid.

At any rate... I've tried cleaning it with my microfiber eyeglass cloth, with a little bit of water. Short of paint, is there anything I can do or use to remove/reduce this scratch?

Yes, I'm anal retentive. My Mac must be perfect. :p

-John

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If it's a real scratch, cleaning it won't do anything about it. Paint wouldn't be a good problem-fixer. Not sure what to tell you about it. There are some liquids that can fix scratches for cars, but I doubt there's the same for macs.

3. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

You might make it more noticable trying to fix it.

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'd really just accept it, and move on. Nothing is absolutely perfect. This is my second laptop in a row with a display bent to the left, but they won't do anything about it. You just have to accept it, and move on.

5. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

6. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I'd give the scratch a name.

Something like "Scratchy McScratch". Talk to it. Stroke it occasionally (the scratch that is, you perv).

You say it's on the right side of the lid? Make another on the left to keep Scratchy company. I'll leave it up to you to come up with a name for this one. Perhaps it can be Mrs. McScratch? Who knows? Go wild!

Err.. OK. No more chocolate for me this Easter.

Anyway. I'll have my own MBP in 3 or 4 days. Perhaps that'll calm me down.

[edit: silliness aside, wonga's got a good question... how scratchable are they?]

7. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

LOL! The humor is appreciated.

I read on MacWorld about a PB user having success buffing the scratch. Maybe I'll try that if I get brave enough... but I don't know how much success there is in it.

How scratchable? Just as much as a PowerBook. Just whatever you do, do NOT hold your power adapter next to the lid of it (so obvious, but nonetheless). Scratchability is... average. I made it 3 weeks without one, if that helps

So. I hope you have fun with your MBP :)

-John

8. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Ah, good. I was wondering what way that'd go :)

Sounds hopeful. But think twice if the instructions start with "Take your surgically-sterile angle-grinder..."

Thanks!

I remember when I put my first scratch on my first iPod. I learnt the hard way that removing a bit of gunk from the screen with my fingernail was a really dumb thing to do. Still, she lasted another 3 1/2 years until I bought my current iPod. I've been careful to keep my nails away from it. Pads only!

A few days ago I read another post on here by someone describing their 'initiation' ceremony for new hardware. They'd deliberately spill some coffee on, and make a scratch somewhere unlikely to be seen. The thinking was, it was bound to happen at some point anyway, so it might as well be got out of the way ASAP.

Of course, that person's either a real wit, or insane :)

9. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

Rest assured, no grinders involved. :p Just a microfiber cloth. The one on MacWorld used his ScreenSaverz cloth... I'm hoping my eyeglass cleaning cloth will suffice.

Yeah... what an initiation ceremony! :rolleyes: I feel bad for his electronics. :p

-John

10. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

HEY!!! I resemble that remark :mad: :p

I did say I scratch new toys but can't claim the coffee part. And, anyway, once I unpacked the new MBP it's so damn beautiful that I can't bring myself to scratch it. :D

eV

11. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

:mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

(it makes sense to me. it's gonna happen anyway so i get it out of the way. maybe not for laptops or high end home electronics. but something i'm going to take with me everyday and throw into pockets etc i still stand by my theory. in the last year I have intentionally scratched a RAZR, an IPOD and a Casio Exilim S600 ... :eek: )

12. JohnEZ thread starter macrumors member

13. Wolf359 macrumors newbie

Wolf359

Battle Scars!

Just give it a crazy story of how the MBP saved your life and in returned it received a battle scar. Chics (iBooks) dig a bad boy MBP.

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

If only someone could come up with a process to protect the case and not affect its looks..

Like.. painting varnish all over it for instance?

15. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

16. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

talk about a thread revival!