MacBook Pro Serial Numbers for each revision

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zorg, May 5, 2006.

1. zorg macrumors regular

May 3, 2006
    Does anyone know the serial number for each revision, and can you please tell me. Like say:

Revision A- #-#
    Revision B- #-#
    Revision C- #-#
    Revision D- #-#
  2. nylon macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2004
    There are no official revisions. The Dailytech article that indicated that there were revisions were based on nothing more than rumor & conjecture. Additionally it has been verified that Apple's internal technical database has not indicated that any official revisions have been made.

That said, Apple has attempted to address some the issues being experienced by consumers by making minor adjustments to its build process and the firmware which controls the way in which certain components function.
  3. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    There are no revisions yet! With the latest MBP builds, there are still many complaints of overheating, CPU whining and the rest of the medley of troubles that have been a problem for some since the MBPs stated shipping.

A true mainboard revision requires taping it out, breadboarding, prototyping, etc. You think they do this every other week?!?

Using the same components from another OEM or adjusting assembly line procedures (like thermal paste application) in no way constitutes a revised mainboard!

4. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    Yeah, there was a lot of confusion because of that article, and it was dead wrong.

Here's how your Apple serial works:

First 2 Digits: Factory it was assembled at
    Next 1 Digit: Year
    Next 2 Digits: Month manufactured
    Remained: Your unique serial.

For example: W8619XJ42U

W8: Shanghai Factory
    6: Built 2006
    19: Built 19th week
    XJ42U: Your Mac's serial number

So, people who thought that W8612... or W8613... meant revisions of different motherboards, but the only difference was one was built the following week.
  5. sunrobby macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2006
    Wow so thats the meaning of the serial number, i only know the week's built before. Thanks :) So if W8 means it's built in China, is there any MBP built not in China?
  6. FragTek macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Not that I'm aware of... I just got my shipment notification for my 17" MBP and it's a W862204KTJ1. Hopefully the 22nd week will bring good news :)
  7. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2003
    I really hope that you changed a digit or two at the end of that serial number and that is not your true number...people with ill intentions can do a lot with that number.
  8. FragTek macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Nope that's the real number, and I'm really not that worried about it :p