Macbook Pro Service Battery Message

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R3ptar99, Sep 11, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

PLEASE HELP my mid-2010 13 inch MBP has the service battery alert pop up!

What I want to know is what exactly caused this and what can I do this to fix it? How much will it cost? (BTW my one year manufacture's warranty just conveniently ran out)

Could it be that the battery is defective or due to my own use?
    (Overheating? I have a Speck Plastic case put on and it rests on my bed or my lap when in use. Fans make get pretty loud when games are like running WOW or The Sims 3 or when playing a movie. Not knowing any better for the first few months it was for the most part always on charge).

Speck Case:
    http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-See-Thru-MacBooks-Aluminum/dp/B002EL4M98/re f=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315768932&sr=8-4

I have had the macbook pro for 13 months and according to coconut battery the capacity is at 77% and 415 cycles.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device Name: bq20z451
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 201
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 165
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 2133
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4472
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 415
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 2657
    Voltage (mV): 11993

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Wake on AC Change: No
    Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake on LAN: Yes
    Current Power Source: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
    RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
    Wake on AC Change: No
    Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes
    RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
    ID: 0x0100
    Wattage (W): 60
    Revision: 0x0000
    Family: 0x0085
    Charging: Yes

2. macrumors 603

Service battery only means your battery health has gone down beyond 75%. Meaning that the battery can only hold 75% of it's original full capacity. It's nothing to worry about, and has nothing to do with your usage, and everything to do with the normal aging of the battery.

As the stuff you copied points out, your battery has 415 cycle counts, which is a lot for a battery, the fact that it's only just started to give you the service battery means that you are taking decent care of your battery as it is.

You do use the battery a whole lot though, for a barely over 1 year old computer.

3. macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hmm thats weird.
    Apple claims their battery to be above 80% with 1000 cycles.

4. macrumors 6502

syan48306

The warning as snaky said comes only because your battery health dropped below the 75% threshold. It has nothing to do with with any new problems with your battery. One of the later snowleopard patches added that notification. Before that, even if the battery dropped below 75%, the user was never notified.

5. macrumors 68030

Based on apple's claims of 80% after 1000 cycles, I would have to think they will replace it for you if you have apple care for sure, and quite possibly if you don't.

6. macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

There's nothing wrong with leaving your MBP on the charger most of the time... as long as you use the battery occasionally.

7. macrumors 603

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with leaving it plugged in all the time so long as it's not months on end.

Try and find GGJStudios' Battery FAQ through the forum search, it'll tell you what you need to know about your battery. You'll realize you have given it way more thought than it deserves, most likely.

8. macrumors regular

My Computer is 3 years old, only has 131 cycles and is shot. But I leave it plugged in day and night. I basically treat it like an iMac. I was going to buy the DIY replacement kit from OWC for 100 bucks and see how that works. Installation looks super simple.