Macbook Pro shuts down randomly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littledude8209, Aug 8, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro (bought in 2006) so, pre-unibody design.
    There has been a long time that i've just though my problem was due to the battery being old and all, but today while *attempting* to use it away from the charger, it shut down at around 90-80% like usual. Then i flipped it over and checked the battery indicator on the underside of the computer to see if it truly was the battery, and it's indicating 4 out of 5 lights are on, which means almost a full charge! :eek:

any ideas as to what could be causing this, and any fixes to it? no money for a new macbook at the moment unfortunately :(

2. macrumors 6502

Does it do this when its on mains?

Try using it without the battery and see if it still shuts down. Also, what does coconut battery say about your battery?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

eek. :eek: that explains a lot.

and it doesn't happen when it's plugged in, but the picture tells me exactly why it's happening. the battery is crap/:

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 68000

brop52

Yep. Time for a new battery. Though you could always attempt a SMC reset it will probably only help temporarily along with a calibration.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

do you know how long this takes to do? this is the first time i have ever done this :p

6. macrumors 6502

Wow, time for a new battery...years ago! Haha, thats a lot of charge cycles my friend. I don't think resetting SMC will do anything, that battery is shot.

Congrats on getting that kind of life out of it

7. thread starter macrumors regular

haha ^_^ yupp. i'm long overdue for a new one. but i just did the SMC and it seems to have fixed the problem where it completely dies at 90%. not absolutely sure it completely fixed it, as it may die any second though. haha :D

i'll post something on here if it continues to die at 90%, but thanks for all the help everyone!

8. thread starter macrumors regular

wow. i'm impressed and happy :D

i just went out to the park with my little sister, and came home expecting it to be dead as usual. i go and it just went into sleep mode! amazing ^_^

thanks for the help everyone!