Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro (bought in 2006) so, pre-unibody design.
There has been a long time that i've just though my problem was due to the battery being old and all, but today while *attempting* to use it away from the charger, it shut down at around 90-80% like usual. Then i flipped it over and checked the battery indicator on the underside of the computer to see if it truly was the battery, and it's indicating 4 out of 5 lights are on, which means almost a full charge! :eek:

any ideas as to what could be causing this, and any fixes to it? no money for a new macbook at the moment unfortunately :(

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Does it do this when its on mains?

Try using it without the battery and see if it still shuts down. Also, what does coconut battery say about your battery?

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
eek. :eek: that explains a lot.

and it doesn't happen when it's plugged in, but the picture tells me exactly why it's happening. the battery is crap/:

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 53

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Yep. Time for a new battery. Though you could always attempt a SMC reset it will probably only help temporarily along with a calibration.

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Yep. Time for a new battery. Though you could always attempt a SMC reset it will probably only help temporarily along with a calibration.

do you know how long this takes to do? this is the first time i have ever done this :p

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Wow, time for a new battery...years ago! Haha, thats a lot of charge cycles my friend. I don't think resetting SMC will do anything, that battery is shot.

Congrats on getting that kind of life out of it

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Wow, time for a new battery...years ago! Haha, thats a lot of charge cycles my friend. I don't think resetting SMC will do anything, that battery is shot.

Congrats on getting that kind of life out of it

haha ^_^ yupp. i'm long overdue for a new one. but i just did the SMC and it seems to have fixed the problem where it completely dies at 90%. not absolutely sure it completely fixed it, as it may die any second though. haha :D

i'll post something on here if it continues to die at 90%, but thanks for all the help everyone!

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
wow. i'm impressed and happy :D

i just went out to the park with my little sister, and came home expecting it to be dead as usual. i go and it just went into sleep mode! amazing ^_^

thanks for the help everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.