Macbook Pro Space And Delete Key Not Working?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Sep 2, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

hi there, on my 15inch macbook pro the delete key and the space key no longer work? please help me as i find it really frustrating

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Probably a hardware issue. Call AppleCare/Go to AppleStore.

3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in the uk Its sunday and apple lines are closed.... and i need desperatley to use my macbookpro and the keyboard "space" and "delete" key have stoped working!!! please help! as i really need to get some important school work done..

4. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Did you try a restart?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Do you have an external USB keyboard to hook up to your computer? It'll help you determine whether or not it's a issue with the MBP keyboard or a problem with the operating system.

6. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Well just tried my bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine. the space key and delete key stopped working a while back but then was fine again...but now they wont work.... And yes i tried restarting and software updates.. aswell as the disk utility permissions

7. viperguy macrumors 6502

I see lots of spaces between your words on your posts... So I assume it works :confused:

8. kondspi macrumors regular

kondspi

9. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

ACtually i have 2 computers... but my bro needs this one. ( macmini)

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well you could copy a space from some where and paste it in when you need it, and if you need to delete it just highlight it and cut it.

11. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is i could do this but would prefer to resolve the matter as quick as possible

12. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

It sounds like a hardware issue. Nothing you could do then. youd need the apple store.

13. raafa macrumors newbie

loose contact, wiring problem

hi, it sounds like you may have had (pretty old post i guess) the same problem as i have. it is a hardware problem! no question about it. i found this link very useful:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=75

took me ages to find it, so i thought i'd make it a bit easier for others that are also trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with their computer.

ciao

14. rickschmoo macrumors newbie

Keyboard diagnosis with built-in Keyboard Viewer app

Before opening up your chassis / lugging your computer to the Apple Store, do some diagnosis with MacOS's built-in Keyboard Viewer.

My issue was similar to those described here and elsewhere:
    - delete key not working
    - up/down arrow equivalent to page up/page down
    - space bar not working intermittently

Use the Keyboard Viewer as follows:
    1. Open System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard sub-tab -> check the "Show Keyboard and Character Viewer in menu bar" checkbox
    2. Click the little window icon which appears top-right next to your battery meter, and select the "Show Keyboard Viewer" menu option
    3. A small window will appear showing your Mac keyboard. Each key is highlighted with each keystroke.

Hey presto! Using the Keyboard Viewer, I could immediately see my problem - the Function ('fn' key) at the bottom left of my keyboard was sticking.

Since Macbook keyboards are really hard to get at (see Wired Gadgetlab), and what the hell - its an old computer - I just removed the function key and the keyboard is back to normal. Yay. Good luck!

15. hckr4evr macrumors newbie

Solution!

Here's the solution (worked for me):

Shut down the laptop, remove the battery completely and restart (without it).

The battery is the problem.