Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

singletracknsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
Hi there,

On clicking the startup button, my MacBook Pro chimes, shows the apple logo and the the progress bar reaches approx 25%-30% before it stalls and does not progress further. It shuts down after several minutes if left unattended.

I've tried starting in:
1) safe mode (shift key) to no avail. Same issue,
2) recovery mode (shift+R) which when prompted with the Utilities I could not Repair the HD (simply states the hard disk could not be repaired and to re-install the OSX),
3) have just tried resetting the parameter RAM (****+option+P+R), to no avail. Same result as #2 above.

I don't have a backup disk or Boot disk (owing to loss in house move, but that's a poor excuse, I know), nor was I running Time Machine. Short of taking it to my local store can anyone suggest whatelse I might do?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, circa 2011-12. It came pre-installed with OSX Lion, but I upgraded it 12 months ago to Yosemite.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi there,

On clicking the startup button, my MacBook Pro chimes, shows the apple logo and the the progress bar reaches approx 25%-30% before it stalls and does not progress further. It shuts down after several minutes if left unattended.

I've tried starting in:
2) recovery mode (shift+R) which when prompted with the Utilities I could not Repair the HD (simply states the hard disk could not be repaired and to re-install the OSX),
3) have just tried resetting the parameter RAM (****+option+P+R), to no avail. Same result as #2 above.

I don't have a backup disk or Boot disk (owing to loss in house move, but that's a poor excuse, I know), nor was I running Time Machine. Short of taking it to my local store can anyone suggest whatelse I might do?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, circa 2011-12. It came pre-installed with OSX Lion, but I upgraded it 12 months ago to Yosemite.

Is it a 15" MacBook Pro? 2011 model or 2012? Retina 2012 or classic model with the optical drive? You can verify this by typing the serial number into here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/

The reason I ask is that:

1) You can try replacing the hard-drive and reinstalling OS X
2) Although the HDD volume (and possibly the drive itself) is corrupted, likely owing to the fact it won't boot into the OS, a few of the problems you've mentioned have similar symptoms with a 2011 graphics failure -- which is a documented issue

I'd try replacing the drive with an SSD first, then booting into your Time Machine backup by holding 'Alt' on startup. From there you can format the SSD and restore the last backup directly to that. Your computer will run better than new as it will absolutely fly with an SSD, so it's an upgrade you may have been looking to do anyway.

If it's a 2012 non-Retina model you have, then I'd wager with near certainty that the problem is only relating to the hard-drive.

If it still fails with a new drive/won't restore, and is a 2011 15/17", it's almost certainly the graphics.

If you have a Retina model, please disregard all of the above. You can't take out the drive, so you'll have to take it to Apple.

singletracknsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
You can just reinstall OS X in recovery mode. It'll do it all over the Internet.
I'm afraid that option doesn't let me install. When the Install instructions are presented - I okay the Terms, and when I continue the only drive in the menu is the Recovery HD drive (which is disabled, I cannot select this). There is no Main HD for me to select to install.
[doublepost=1470309172][/doublepost]
Is it a 15" MacBook Pro? 2011 model or 2012? You can verify this by typing the serial number into here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/

The reason I ask is that:

1) You can try replacing the hard-drive and reinstalling OS X
2) Although the HDD volume (and possibly the drive itself) is corrupted, likely owing to the fact it won't boot into the OS, a few of the problems you've mentioned have similar symptoms with a 2011 graphics failure -- which is a documented issue

I'd try replacing the drive with an SSD first, then booting into your Time Machine backup by holding 'Alt' on startup. From there you can format the SSD and restore the last backup directly to that. Your computer will run better than new as it will absolutely fly with an SSD, so it's an upgrade you may have been looking to do anyway.

If it's a 2012 non-Retina model you have, then I'd wager with near certainty that the problem is only relating to the hard-drive.

If it still fails with a new drive/won't restore, and is a 2011 15/17", it's almost certainly the graphics.

If you have a Retina model, please disregard all of the above. You can't take out the drive, so you'll have to take it to Apple.

Thanks. It's a MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I

The HDD has a high chance of being corrupted with the age of the drive/machine (going on the assumption it hasn't recently been replaced), but with the issues you mentioned about Safe Mode, etc., it wouldn't exhibit that stubborn a problem with just a failing drive. I'd wager, based on your description, that the graphics have already failed.

I'd take it into an Apple Store. If it fails their GPU diagnostics then they'll replace the Logic Board free-of-charge, even though you're out of warranty.

Either way, I'd look towards fitting an SSD in the near future.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm afraid that option doesn't let me install. When the Install instructions are presented - I okay the Terms, and when I continue the only drive in the menu is the Recovery HD drive (which is disabled, I cannot select this). There is no Main HD for me to select to install.
[doublepost=1470309172][/doublepost]

Ok it's almost certainly your GPU that has died Apple are fixing this free until the end of the year, take it back to Apple they'll diagnose it and replace your
Logic board if it's the GPU that's died.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

singletracknsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
The HDD has a high chance of being corrupted with the age of the drive/machine (going on the assumption it hasn't recently been replaced), but with the issues you mentioned about Safe Mode, etc., it wouldn't exhibit that stubborn a problem with just a failing drive. I'd wager, based on your description, that the graphics have already failed.

I'd take it into an Apple Store. If it fails their GPU diagnostics then they'll replace the Logic Board free-of-charge, even though you're out of warranty.

Either way, I'd look towards fitting an SSD in the near future.

Thanks again. My machine is one of the affected models. Looks like a trip to the shop to see if they will repair it (the repair notice on the link you shared with me, thanks... tells of 4-years expiry from purchase. Still, better to have a working model than not. Appreciate your help.
[doublepost=1470309559][/doublepost]
Ok it's almost certainly your GPU that has died Apple are fixing this free until the end of the year, take it back to Apple they'll diagnose it and replace your
Logic board if it's the GPU that's died.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Thanks Samuelsan

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks again. My machine is one of the affected models. Looks like a trip to the shop to see if they will repair it (the repair notice on the link you shared with me, thanks... tells of 4-years expiry from purchase. Still, better to have a working model than not. Appreciate your help.

Hope it goes well, please do update this thread either way to let us know the situation. :)
[doublepost=1470309688][/doublepost]
tells of 4-years expiry from purchase.

"The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016, or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you."

So it'll still be covered!

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Hi there,

I've tried starting in:

Thanks!

This is caused by dGPU failure.

Take it in for free repair:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

singletracknsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
Thanks guys for your posts. It's booked in this week so i'll ping you all a line after the work has been done. Cheers.

singletracknsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
Hi Guys, The verdict is in, and the issue was indeed the GPU, as described in the link posted in several of your posts (big thanks guys). Apple covered the work under the manufacturer's warranty which saved me over $1,000. Appreciate all your help.

(edit - if anyone in Australia, Northern NSW needs a Mac repair - go to Lismore's PowerMax - very quick and professional service. And no, I have no affiliation or interest)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.