Macbook Pro Stolen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by typecase, Jul 27, 2006.

1. typecase macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2005
    My brand new 3 month old 15 inch Macbook was stolen on the airport in South Africa! :mad: One minute it's at our feet the next minute the bag is gone. The worst part is I had to board the plane back home immediately thereafter. My friend reported it and I reported it but as expected nothing much came of it. $2600 down the drain. Is there anything I can do? I realize there's probably not much. Perhaps I just needed to vent. This hurts though, I'll tell you that, especially if you've been saving up for something like this for so long. :(
  2. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    That really sucks! :(

Is there any possibility of travel insurance or even your own contents insurance covering it?
  3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    I know it's not gonna do much to help the current situation, but in the future, always keep your laptop on your actual person. If I take my laptop with me in the bag, it's always hung over my shoulder (my dad now reckons it's growing out of my hip it's there so often) and I always hold it if it's in the sleeve...

Really sorry dude :(
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    If you were flying somewhere do you have travel insurance? If so claim on that.
  5. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Ouch that genuinely hurts. I hope you have traveller's insurance!
  6. typecase thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2005
    We're working on the insurance situation now, trying to see if it was covered. If there's one thing I learned, it's that you shouldn't really put a computer in a laptop bag. It draws too much attention. Whenever I traveled in the past, I had a cool laptop backpack that looked, well, like a backpack, and I never had a problem. This time that backpack was unavailable.

Yeah, I realize it should have always been on my shoulder at all times but we were talking to friends, we were all a bit tired from all the traveling and I didn't realize how quickly something like this could happen. Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.

Initially, I thought all my vacation pictures were lost as well since I transferred them as my camera's memory card filled up, but luckily my friend had transferred those pics to his iBook as well. He sent me a DVD and happily all but a few pictures are in place.

Does anyone know if Apple flags the serial or something? I wonder what will happen to it now. Will it end up on ebay?
  7. HardLine macrumors member

Jul 21, 2006
    some family in south africa is going to be eatting like kings for 6 months now
  8. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005
    Dude... South Africa isn't as poor as you think. :rolleyes:
  9. codo macrumors 6502

May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    Dear me - Do some Googling.
  10. seany916 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2006
    Southern California
    Sorry bro...

I loop the strap around my ankle if my bag is on the floor. Lame and pathetic, but I haven't lost one yet.

Sorry my friend.
  11. HardLine macrumors member

Jul 21, 2006

google tells me that: 12,073 South African rands = 1,724.46793 U.S. dollars

google tells me that: 65,405 South African rands = 9,342.23682 U.S. dollars

So depending on the bloke who nicked it, and assuming you said it cost you 2600 dollars, then a black south african would be getting 1.5 years of salary. A white south african would be getting 4 months of salary.

If you average up 1.5 years, and 4 months, you get 11 months worth of salary.

So please tell me, what's wrong with my sarcastic statement, that I just suprisingly proved true with nothing but google, calculator, and 3rd grade math.
  12. typecase thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2005
    I think perhaps you're confusing me with another poster.
  13. brikeh macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2006
    That sux, hope you get your insurance $ for it. :(
  14. HardLine macrumors member

Jul 21, 2006
    Your words, not mine.
  15. Collin973 macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2006
    Might be worth a shot checking ebay out for it. I've heard that a lot of stolen stuff gets placed on ebay for a quick sale and poof its gone. Just a thought.

I know I'd be flipping my lid if someone took my laptop.

I do hope you can at least get your money for it!
  16. 61132 Guest

Oct 31, 2005
    sorry to hear about it, that sucks.

I have undercover installed on my macbook pro, $30 is is not too much at all if it recovers your laptop, even if it doesnt, its worth the time you have hope in recovering it, :)
  17. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    :mad: It really irritates me. Did it get stolen in Cape Town international or Johannesburg international? It is a big problem in these two airports.:mad: There was a big court case against the SA airports company. They had recordings of laptops getting stolen and they haven't done a single thing about it. There are so many stupid @&*^% living in South Africa. There are HUGE problems with crime here at the moment. 90% of the population thinks that if if you rape a virgin, your AIDS will be cured:mad: :rolleyes: A$$holes.

I bet the police weren't very helpful either. They are also a bunch of A$$holes. Most of them can't even speak english properly:rolleyes:
  18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    lol. In South Africa? The people who took the MBP are stupid low class idiots. They just steal laptops in airports and then sell in for 1/20 of the price it's worth. People get stabbed and killed in South Africa for a cell phone:mad:
  19. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I know those are all average salaries, but if you are in the more upper class areas of SA, the average salaries are wayyyyyyyyyyy higher:)
  20. HardLine macrumors member

Jul 21, 2006
  21. JBot macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2006
    You mean it doesnt?
  22. HardLine macrumors member

Jul 21, 2006
  23. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
  24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Good lesson. I put my MBP 17" and TiBook in a regular wal-mart backpack. You would never guess there are 2 laptops in there :)
  25. brbubba macrumors 6502

May 20, 2006
    I do too, but something tells me that in South Africa it wouldn't make much of a difference. But you would have some nice pictures of the schmuck who stole your laptop.