MacBook Pro stopped accepting discs - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dhc, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dhc macrumors regular

So. following an ongoing issue with iMovie, I decided to upgrade to 10.4.7 in the vein hope that it might fix my problem (see here), instead I have a new raft of issues - the most obvious being that my optical drive is no longer accepting media. It just feels 'locked' - as if there is already a disc in there (which there isn't).

Anyone experince this? know of a fix?

I have to say, after 5 year happy motoring with Apple machines, I've never been more frustrated than I am, right now, with my MBP.:mad:

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Mine has done this before ... It was just something that got out of sync w/ reality, but I'm not quite sure how I fixed it.

Did you try holding down your mouse button while you rebooted? That usually forces the drive to cycle through the motions of ejecting a disc and might solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

3. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Following this certainly caused the drive to make a whirring noise, but unfortunately that's all that happened. Thanks for the suggestion though. The drive was working fine before upgrading - is it likely that this is the cause?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Check out a PMU reset (Power management unit) on the Apple support website.

5. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Ahem..

Ok. so following the PMU reset instructions on the Apple website, I shut down the machine, unplugged the mouse, and removed the magsafe.

I started to turn the MBP over in order to take the battery out, when suddenly I hear a clinking crunching sound...gulp :eek: . Thinking the optical drive was about to fall out of the slot, I slowly and carefully continued to turn the machine over. Further clinking crunching sounds ensued. Imagine my surprise when out of the slot slid....a 5p coin...followed by another..and another..followed by a 2p coin. :confused:

Looks like my 2 year old son has developed a new game...

That's got to be one of the most expensive piggy banks EVER..

:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yikes. Not sure if AppleCare covers that. :)

Hope it all works out!!!

7. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Just viewed and burnt a disc - looking good so far!