Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACSF

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Bless you!

Try an SMC bypass (worked for me just yesterday when repairing my Macbook).

Same symptoms, no boot at all, no lights, anything.
Not sure if it will work with the internal battery connected, but remove the charger, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, reconnect the charger (while still holding the button), and hold it for another 10 seconds. Let go of the button, press it again, and the computer should boot with the fans on high.

My problems turned out to be a bad cable. Not sure about you, but yours may be a dead battery.

After trying EVERYTHING (except taking my Mac to a service store since I cannot afford it) your post saved my life - and my Mac. BUT - how did you stop the fans from running so high? Is there something else that needs to be fixed?

Many many many thanks in advance!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
After trying EVERYTHING (except taking my Mac to a service store since I cannot afford it) your post saved my life - and my Mac. BUT - how did you stop the fans from running so high? Is there something else that needs to be fixed?

Many many many thanks in advance!

I'm sorry it seems I've not responded to this. :( I apologize for the delay.

Usually after just running for a bit and restarting the problem fixes itself. However I just recently started working on a broken macbook that only works with an SMC bypass and it's looking like something is preventing the SMC from coming online, or the SMC is broken itself. Either way, the evidence does point to a problem down the line.

Again, sorry for the delay.

ACSF

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
I'm sorry it seems I've not responded to this. :( I apologize for the delay.

Usually after just running for a bit and restarting the problem fixes itself. However I just recently started working on a broken macbook that only works with an SMC bypass and it's looking like something is preventing the SMC from coming online, or the SMC is broken itself. Either way, the evidence does point to a problem down the line.

Again, sorry for the delay.

No worries! Thanks for your reply.

Do you reckon that it could be "dangerous" to use the computer if I keep bypassing the SMC and let the fans run high? I ran the Apple Hardware Test but it failed to yield any hardware problem. Is there a way to know if it is the SMC? If I've understood correctly the SMC is part of the logic board and this part can be as expensive as a new computer. :eek: It starts feeling like a lost cause :(

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
No worries! Thanks for your reply.

Do you reckon that it could be "dangerous" to use the computer if I keep bypassing the SMC and let the fans run high? I ran the Apple Hardware Test but it failed to yield any hardware problem. Is there a way to know if it is the SMC? If I've understood correctly the SMC is part of the logic board and this part can be as expensive as a new computer. :eek: It starts feeling like a lost cause :(

It's worth the risk if you must use the computer. Considering you've been running it this long it shouldn't make much of a difference.

The SMC is part of the logic board and does cost a lot to repair, but if you find someone who specializes in logic board repairs you might be able to do it for $300, maybe less at some places, depending on the damage and cause. I don't think there's a way other than the AHT that would pinpoint it as the SMC. Usually what I've seen is a problem down the line with a component failure that leads to no power being pushed the the SMC, but it's possible the SMC has blown. A quick look at the logic board might net some more info as a blown chip will usually look burnt, etc.

But let's do a bit of troubleshooting here since you've got it. What model of computer is it? Year and model # on bottom are preferred. Is it exhibiting other odd behaviors or other problems? Has it ever had water damage?

ACSF

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
It's worth the risk if you must use the computer. Considering you've been running it this long it shouldn't make much of a difference.

The SMC is part of the logic board and does cost a lot to repair, but if you find someone who specializes in logic board repairs you might be able to do it for $300, maybe less at some places, depending on the damage and cause. I don't think there's a way other than the AHT that would pinpoint it as the SMC. Usually what I've seen is a problem down the line with a component failure that leads to no power being pushed the the SMC, but it's possible the SMC has blown. A quick look at the logic board might net some more info as a blown chip will usually look burnt, etc.

But let's do a bit of troubleshooting here since you've got it. What model of computer is it? Year and model # on bottom are preferred. Is it exhibiting other odd behaviors or other problems? Has it ever had water damage?

It's a late 2007 MacBook Pro 15" A1226. No water damage that I am aware of. However, it had exhibited odd behaviour for a while which I attributed first to a dying battery. For example, the battery would only last half an hour and would completely drain out on its own when I didn't use it for days. When that happened, the computer would take a long long time before starting up. I pressed the on/off button and had to wait a couple of hours until you heard the HD starting. I know I should have bought a new battery long ago but being a poor student I just put in on the back burner.

Four years ago a DVD got stuck in the CD unit and the computer would make a strange noise when starting up. Come to think of it it was the sound it normally does when ejecting a disk only that it wasn't ejecting anything. My cousin had to open it up to retrieve the DVD. Two years ago I dropped it, fortunately only a few inches away from the floor and it only got a bit scratched here and there - that I know of. I don't know if any of this is relevant to the current issue but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Currently I'm using an old MacBook to survive but goes without saying that I want my old Pro back :( I am going to buy a new battery* as soon as I'm back from a 5-week trip. Perhaps that's the source of the problem- fingers crossed. But if you have another brilliant idea I'd be very grateful to read it.

* Do you reckon I should buy an original battery? Apple products are extra expensive where I live and I seem to have found a company that sells batteries for two thirds of the price with one year warranty.

topdogab

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Try this first!

Same thing happened to mine today when I unplugged my iPhone (turns out it could be because I'm using a cheap cable).

I pulled the battery out to take to the Apple Store to get a new one. Before I left I decided to place the battery back in and plug it in and voila, it restarted properly, battery meter on the side and the charger worked. The universe is at it should be!

I've since seen other forums where they say to unplug the battery then plug it back in.

dave.barb

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
My MacBook was seemingly dead and wouldn't wake up. The light on the charger was on though. I did this as instructed above: "remove the charger, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, reconnect the charger (while still holding the button), and hold it for another 10 seconds. Let go of the button, press it again, and the computer should boot" This got it to boot up but the display was dim. I turned up the lighting on the display and now everything seems fine. Ran the hardware test and the mac was fine. I think one of the cats sat on the keyboard when I wasn't looking and maybe turned the display all the way down. If so it's a silly but easy solution.

bressHD

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
sometimes, its very simple

in my case, my MBP 13" MID-2012 died.
i just tried turn on and nothing... :mad:
the indicator lights on the side did not respond...Completely DEAD, bricked;;

my friend told just to open the MBP and unplug & plug the battery plug that connects the main board.

For my surprise it worked perfectly :D :apple: ...

(i advise everyone to buy the repair tool kit)

[]'s

Nick25

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
My MacBook was seemingly dead and wouldn't wake up. The light on the charger was on though. I did this as instructed above: "remove the charger, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, reconnect the charger (while still holding the button), and hold it for another 10 seconds. Let go of the button, press it again, and the computer should boot" This got it to boot up but the display was dim. I turned up the lighting on the display and now everything seems fine. Ran the hardware test and the mac was fine. I think one of the cats sat on the keyboard when I wasn't looking and maybe turned the display all the way down. If so it's a silly but easy solution.

I had the same problem and this worked for me .. Thanks a lot !!

jcertze

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
Mexico - Los Angeles
Taking out the battery (or just disconnect it) works! Don't know why but sometimes MacBooks go crazy about their battery and even if it is fully charged (that is my case) MacBook won't start. Somehow disconnecting the battery resets something that SMC won't.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011

Not sure if it will work with the internal battery connected, but remove the charger, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, reconnect the charger (while still holding the button), and hold it for another 10 seconds. Let go of the button, press it again, and the computer should boot with the fans on high.

My problems turned out to be a bad cable. Not sure about you, but yours may be a dead battery.

I Astroboy907.

seriously thanks a million, you have no idea how much trouble you just saved me.

dkier81

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
I had the same issue with my early 2011 15" MBP, nothing suggested seemed to work for me. I read an article somewhere else that said Apple was having issues with the video processors solder on these logic boards. I removed my logic board removed the memory preheated my oven to 375 degrees and baked the logic board for 8 minutes to reflow the solder. Allowed it to cool reassembled it and it has been working ever since.

MMboot

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2016
It works!!

Thank you so much!

Just tried this on a macbook pro that had the exact same issue; thought it was dead and gone. took out the battery etc, and it worked. phew!

Such a life saver; that!

Exactly!
Same thing here.
Bought some cheap USB fans and were playing around with them on the USB port.
ZAP! And it suddenly died.

Then took the Macbook Pro Late 2011 apart and disconnected the battery, put it in again and viola! It turned on!

BETH201612016

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
I
Hi,

Just to update you, and for future reference for those who are reading, it seems like the problem has been fixed. In fact, I am using it right now to type this out :D

What I Did:

I opened the bottom cover of the MBP and found a lot of DUST around the fan/grill areas as well as a very thin layer of dust scattered around the logic board, tiny bts of dust over the superdrive etc - generally everywhere, but mostly around the grill areas. I've also noticed dust on 3 wires towards the top corner (will post pics). The battery, though covered with a plastic cover, had some 'spots', not sure what they were though.

I didn't have any compressed air available (they're not too common in the UK) so I used my vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out carefully and then finally brushing over with my mum's very fine soft makeup brush tto clear remaining dust/debris whilst hovering over with the vacuum.

I did not notice any signs of corrosion - everything seemed to look fine (didn't check the other side of the logic board). However, I did notice 2 circular plates underneath 2 different screws which were purpleish/blueish/rainbowish in colour (the sort of colour when metal is heated/oil is spilled), so maybe a sign of some overheating or maybe i'm reading too much into it :p.

After I cleaned the dust from the logic board etc + the bottom cover (which also had quite a bit of dust), I replaced the cover and connected the magsafe. Without even pressing the power on button, the MBP turned itself on and began booting. Not only that, the magsafe's indicator light glew up orange! So it was charging - no more faint green light. I also pressed the battery indicator button and the it was blinking on the first light, indicating critically low battery level.

Surely enough I finally managed to get to the login screen and log in successfully. :D The battery level on the status bar at the top of the screen indicated '0%'. I'm not sure how this has managed to happen as I am fully certain that the battery level was at around 50-60% when the MBP suddenly 'died'. The battery seems to be charging fine.

I have taken pics of the dust etc and will post these up later on today.

I know this is a long post, but I thought I'd explain in detail what I tried, observed and how it went for the benefit of future readers.

Other Side notes:

astroboy907, as per your advice, I tried to do the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) through the SMC Bypass but it did not work. The icon for the AHT would not show, and it just rebooted again after the apple logo but before the login screen as explained earlier. However, on the second/third attempt it managed to get a stage further - to the login screen - but then 1-10 seconds later it rebooted. The battery icon on the top of the screen had an 'X' inside it so it wasn't charging. This was before the dust cleaning.

Thanks to all who helped.

it is amazing, we thank God for the internet, beautiful people sharing solutions. I tried the steps on my MBP 15'' and it worked. Heat-dirt is definitely not a friend micro-electronic components. Bless you all.

Reactions: Hustler1337

Tompion

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Hi guys,

My Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro suddenly died and it will not turn back on. I would really appreciate any help and advice. I'm very stressed out at the moment as it contains valuable files that I cannot afford to lose, including my university work.

I was updating the apps on my iPhone when all off the sudden I noticed in the corner of my eye that the screen suddenly went blank (I was watching TV at the time). I assumed it went to sleep, but I thought it was strange that it went to 'sleep' only after 20-30 seconds since I last used it.

I go back to the MBP to check the progress and find that it wasn't actually asleep, but that whole MBP was switched off. I tried turning it back on but it will not turn on.

No water or liquid has ever been spilled on this machine during its life. I've only had some condensation on the track pad many months ago

Here's what I've observed:

- There's no sound or hard drive sound that I can hear when pressing the power button

- The battery LED indicators do not light up at all. I recall the battery was at 50-60% at the point when it turned off.

- I connected the Magsafe and the Magsafe LED lights up VERY FAINTLY to the point that it cannot easily be noticed in a lit room, and even in darker settings.

- It appears that the whole MBP is completely dead and there is no sign or indication that it is actually turning on.

What I've tried

- Connected to the Magsafe - no indication of charging at all as stated above
- an SMC Reset but nothing happens at all - it's just dead.

If anyone can advise me on what may be wrong and what steps I should take, I would really appreciate it.

I've read on another forum about someone having a similar/same issue when he used a cheap USB cable. Could this be the cause of the problem, since I also used a cheap eBay knockoff cable to sync my phone? :confused:

Could this be a hard drive failure? I'd rather it be a battery issue as I can't afford to lose all my files.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You ;)

UPDATE: Please see post #17 below - SMC bypass
I had the exact same problem with my 2012 model when I had my iphone plugged into it. It just died and the light on the mag connector went out too. Tried everything on this thread to fix it with no success. As a final though I decided to disconnect the battery for a short while and whilst disconnected I plugged it back into the mains and it booted up instantly. So I closed it down, removed the mains lead and reconnected the battery and it charged up as it should and was working well. However... not thinking I plugged the phone lead in again and it shut down just like before - dead. So back off and did the same routine and been working well for days. My conclusion is faulty usb cable caused the problem.

RedBluePill

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2017

[doublepost=1489727386][/doublepost]Man you're a genius. I tried this and it worked. It got the fans to kick on. I'm a former supervisor at Apple for over 3 years and had to go to this forum to learn this lol

Stormsegal

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2017
UK
Stunned how I resolved same issue. I thought my MacBook Pro dead for good started mourning! Vintage model tried everything then read someone who had violently shaken theirs in frustration and bingo it turned on. After laughing thinking must be a joke thought what the hell try anything once..... I'm still in shock I did it nothing happened, my husband gave it a slam shut and couple hard taps on back pressed the on button and it turned on we just stood staring and speechless. For the record it is working perfectly. Very last resort nothing to loose give it a try after all it's free!!! Eternally grateful to who posted shake it for dear life.

Japjap

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Hi! I have the same exact problem. I did open and dusted off the bottom part already but it still doesn’t work. Do I need to wait for hour/s or day/s to turn it on? Help!

Hi,

Just to update you, and for future reference for those who are reading, it seems like the problem has been fixed. In fact, I am using it right now to type this out :D

What I Did:

I opened the bottom cover of the MBP and found a lot of DUST around the fan/grill areas as well as a very thin layer of dust scattered around the logic board, tiny bts of dust over the superdrive etc - generally everywhere, but mostly around the grill areas. I've also noticed dust on 3 wires towards the top corner (will post pics). The battery, though covered with a plastic cover, had some 'spots', not sure what they were though.

I didn't have any compressed air available (they're not too common in the UK) so I used my vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out carefully and then finally brushing over with my mum's very fine soft makeup brush tto clear remaining dust/debris whilst hovering over with the vacuum.

I did not notice any signs of corrosion - everything seemed to look fine (didn't check the other side of the logic board). However, I did notice 2 circular plates underneath 2 different screws which were purpleish/blueish/rainbowish in colour (the sort of colour when metal is heated/oil is spilled), so maybe a sign of some overheating or maybe i'm reading too much into it :p.

After I cleaned the dust from the logic board etc + the bottom cover (which also had quite a bit of dust), I replaced the cover and connected the magsafe. Without even pressing the power on button, the MBP turned itself on and began booting. Not only that, the magsafe's indicator light glew up orange! So it was charging - no more faint green light. I also pressed the battery indicator button and the it was blinking on the first light, indicating critically low battery level.

Surely enough I finally managed to get to the login screen and log in successfully. :D The battery level on the status bar at the top of the screen indicated '0%'. I'm not sure how this has managed to happen as I am fully certain that the battery level was at around 50-60% when the MBP suddenly 'died'. The battery seems to be charging fine.

I have taken pics of the dust etc and will post these up later on today.

I know this is a long post, but I thought I'd explain in detail what I tried, observed and how it went for the benefit of future readers.

Other Side notes:

astroboy907, as per your advice, I tried to do the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) through the SMC Bypass but it did not work. The icon for the AHT would not show, and it just rebooted again after the apple logo but before the login screen as explained earlier. However, on the second/third attempt it managed to get a stage further - to the login screen - but then 1-10 seconds later it rebooted. The battery icon on the top of the screen had an 'X' inside it so it wasn't charging. This was before the dust cleaning.

Thanks to all who helped.

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I have no idea if/when they would kill it but I can't imagine that they would. I could see them reducing the number of models/options, etc but I really would hate it, if they did kill off the Mac line. I'd kinda be screwed. Can't deal with the iPad.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi! I have the same exact problem. I did open and dusted off the bottom part already but it still doesn’t work. Do I need to wait for hour/s or day/s to turn it on? Help!
Hi,

It's been a few years since I created this thread, but I do remember that I didn't have to wait for anything. Make sure you've dusted the whole board carefully with a soft brush and vacuum but exercise caution due to the risks of static. Not sure if this helped, but try and focus on the charging port area of the board as well.

You may not even have the same cause as mine so it's worth having a look at other things e.g. check battery condition and connection, whether your charger is working etc. Someone in the post above did a violent shake (but I don't recommend it) and it fixed their problem. Try Googling for other suggestions. You could also try going to the Apple Store and have them diagnose the issue and work from there.

For the record, my MBP I is still going strong with daily use for 8+ hrs a day since I created this thread. In fact, I'm typing it on it right now :)

Outlawanton

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2019
Hi, All

I'm currently having the same problem as Hustler1337 is having. Macbook pro is not turning on. I dug deep to find no problems at all. Other than seeing the charging area was sort of corroded but thats been replaced just recently. I'm wondering what is the issue. It wont start up at all. Changed batteries, no response. Got a new charger, That didn't work at all. Using the old one. The charger is giving that faint green colour but barely seeable. I've use a fluke multi-meter to see if anything is coming through. In which there was something.

Its a macbook pro A1278 2 core due processor 4gb ram, about 320gb of HDD. This is the late 2010 model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.