MacBook Pro suddenly dying.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redneck1089, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Hello,

I am having some problems with my MacBook Pro. Lately whenever the battery starts getting low, like around 20 percent, my computer just suddenly dies without warning. This evening it read 25% charge left and then it turned itself off while I was in the middle of writing an e-mail. I then pressed the little button on the bottom of the battery and it said there was no juice left. I waited a few minutes and then pressed the power button on the computer to see if anything would happen; the computer switched on and I logged into my account for about 20 seconds before it did it again. The strange thing is that the computer said there was 20% charge left in the battery.

Should I be making a claim for a new battery from Apple? My battery life has been getting progressively worse too, and this computer is only going to be a year old in March.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup, it seems like your battery is finished. How long have you had your MBP? take it in and let them know...they might replace the battery for you.

Bless

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I ordered it sometime in the middle of February last year. It came the first week of March. I'm going to take it in today. Personally I think this is unacceptable.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Batteries are notorious for this kind of thing. It is impossible to build hundreds of thousands of batteries and not have some turn out bad.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

How many hours does it last and did you calibrate it

6. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

At current it lasts around 2 hours with the display dimmed right down. Yes, it has been calibrated.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

8. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Thanks I will try that. :)

9. New Mac User macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with my Compaq laptop. The computer would report 15% battery life and it would just shut off. Check the battery's built-on meter and it shows dead. I ran my laptop's battery calibration utility and it fixed it for a while, but the symptoms slowly returned over the next few weeks.

I have a battery replacement plan to cover that BS, now.. ;)

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Definately get the battery replaced. Some of the early models' batteries are defective. It sounds like you got a sour apple (no pun intended).

11. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Definitely get a new battery. First go to Apple's MBP battery exchange page and check to see whether yours is one of them. My first one was, even though it seemed fine. My replacement battery was fine for about 3-4 months and then dropped off all of a sudden. that has now been replaced and this seems fine too for now.

Batteries like all parts should be covered by Apple's 90 day warranty, or for the remainder of the AppleCare you have left. If you, like me, bought last March, hopefully if your replacement ends up a dud too, at least it will give you to May to find out. Even with 1 year warranty, two months extra beyond that top replace your dud, should it be one too, should be enough.