MacBook Pro sync to PowerMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by florio, Dec 4, 2006.

1. florio macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a new 17" MacBook Pro and want to sync my email, certain folders and other stuff to my Power Mac. I bought .Mac as well, but I don't know if that is going to help?

Any software suggestions?

Thanks,
    Florio

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

3. florio thread starter macrumors member

does that software automatically choose the newer file when syncing?

4. weeag macrumors regular

Same song, second verse...

Ok, so I'm seriously debating going into more debt tomorrow and buying a MB or MBP as a secondary travel business mac.

I need to be able to sync everything I have on my current PowerMac (applications, files, settings, EVERYTHING) basically to have a duplicate mac that I can take with me. Now, when I get back from the road I need to sync everything back to the PowerMac (updated files, new files, emails, EVERYTHING). Does Chronosync do this or is there something else that will work (don't have .Mac)?

Not trying to hijack a thread, I think this is basically asking what florio did, just a bit more long-winded.

Thanks!
    Brian

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I have used Synk to synchronize files between a desktop and laptop, although I have never tried to do the whole computer. I wonder how well this would work for some of the system files between the 2 computers (especially a PPC and Intel)? My approach was to install all apps on both computers and set up accordingly, then make a new folder (with subfolders as required) which would be used for files / documents that needed to be on both computers, and this worked great. Have not tried synchronizing email.

6. weeag macrumors regular

Hmmm, the main thing I want to make easy is to make sure I have all the brushes, actions, symbols, etc. from CS2 on both computers.

Isn't there some kind of remote desktop for a mac so I could copy any files from the PowerMac to the MB if I had an internet connection?

7. florio thread starter macrumors member

the problem with chronosync is that you can't just pick to sync one file. I have successfully synced the mail folders on both comps, but the problem is that I have to sync the mail pref file as well. I end up doing it manually. Also, make sure you don't have mail open on either computer when syncing. I had it give me error messages on a few occasions and then stuff gets really screwed up.

Anyway, chronosync isn't bad, but I haven't used it enough yet to get a feel of its quality or potential.

.Mac really doesn't hep that much.

Also, I don;t think cloning a computer would be a very good idea especially across the intel/powermac setup that I have. Also I can't imagine that the install for a laptop is the exact same as a desktop.

Flo

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe