MacBook Pro trade for iMac Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dotmarckr, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I've been considering trading my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15" C2D 2.53 GHz 8GB laptop for an iMac for it's screen size – and because I'm already using my laptop as a desktop pretty much and I have a MacBook Air for portability. I've gotten a hit on Craigslist to trade for a 2008 iMac 24" C2D 3.06GHz 4GB.

What are you opinions on this? Should I make the trade? Why or why not?

2. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I wouldn't do it. It's like trading in this year's tech for something from last year. Less RAM in there too.

3. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Agreed.

You're probably looking to do a flat out trade so you don't have to spend any money, but I think you'd be better off just getting an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I use this monitor with my MBP when I want to use it in 'desktop' mode am and very happy with its performance.

4. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

I concur with the external monitor approach instead. I added a Cinema Display to my MBP and have been very happy with it. Got it dirt cheap off Craigslist. Added a full sized keyboard. Takes a few seconds to disconnect and stuff in my backpack and I'm on the road.

5. Guest

eric/

6. macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

No. You're making a downgrade in terms of everything but CPU speed and screen size. The RAM type is slower (DDR2 vs. DDR3). If you want a larger screen, you're much better off just buying an external monitor. Apple sells as large as a 27" LED display (just make sure you don't buy the Thunderbolt one by mistake) or you can go with literally any other brand for cheaper.

7. macrumors 603

thekev

I wouldn't want a computer of that age with unknown history. The displays in these things do not last forever. With the one you already own, you know what is working.