Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, many observers were surprised that Apple did not announce updated MacBook Pro models at its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. Sources such as KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had indicated that updated Retina MacBook Pro models based on Intel's new Haswell processors were likely to appear at WWDC, but questions arose when model number leaks ahead of the event suggested that either the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, but not both, would be receiving updates.

So the question for many now is: Where are the new MacBook Pros? Kuo's note prior to WWDC indicated that Apple was likely to leave the non-Retina models without an update as part of an effort to continue pushing consumers toward the Retina line, so the primary focus is really on new Retina MacBook Pro models.

retina_macbook_pro_hand.jpg

One potential explanation comes from a late April note from Kuo in which he suggested that updated Retina MacBook Pro models may not ship for some time after WWDC due to production bottlenecks on the displays used in the machines. Depending on when those updated models might be ready, Apple may simply have felt that the gap between WWDC and their availability would be too large to make an announcement at WWDC.

If that is the case, Apple could simply introduce new Retina MacBook Pro models in the coming weeks while having avoided putting an additional damper on sales of current models by pre-announcing the launch at WWDC.

Despite the lack of new Retina MacBook Pro models at WWDC, many of the circulating rumors still stand, and some of the developments seen in the new MacBook Air will likely also apply to the MacBook Pro, offering a better picture of what we can expect from Haswell-based MacBook Pro models. Among the expectations:

- Better battery life: With the new MacBook Air based on Intel's energy-efficient Haswell processors, Apple was able to boost battery life by up to 80%, with the 11-inch model's runtime increasing from 5 hours to 9 hours and the 13-inch model's moving from 7 hours to 12 hours.

macbook_air_2013_battery_life.jpg

While the Retina MacBook Pro may not see quite as dramatic improvements in battery life given the more power-hungry Retina displays and the 15-inch models' dedicated graphics chips, the Haswell platform should still offer some battery life benefits for the Retina MacBook Pro line. The current models are rated for 7 hours of battery life at both 13-inch and 15-inch sizes.

- Haswell processors: Intel has a well-stocked lineup of mobile Haswell processors in both dual-core and quad-core varieties now available, so Apple will have no problem incorporating the latest chips into its MacBook Pro models. Intel's advanced "Iris" integrated graphics should bring significant performance improvements to the line, although it remains to be seen just how Apple will balance performance and power draw.

- 802.11ac Wi-Fi: With the new faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard making its way into the updated MacBook Air and Apple releasing updated AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations, it is clear that Apple will be rolling out 802.11ac support across its lineups as they are updated.

flash_storage_icon.jpg
- Faster PCIe-based flash storage: The new MacBook Air takes advantage of PCIe-based flash storage, pushing peak read/write throughput to nearly 800 MB/s. Apple announced that the same technology is coming to the Mac Pro later this year, and it will presumably also be coming to the MacBook Pro and other Macs.

- Slimmer 13-inch model?: Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed several times that Apple is planning to slim down the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, despite the fact that the machine was just introduced last October. It is unclear how much thinner Apple is planning to make the machine, but the current design is slightly thicker than that of the 15-inch model: 0.75 inches vs. 0.71 inches.

- Full HD FaceTime camera: Kuo has also claimed that the next-generation Retina MacBook Pro models will see upgrades to 2.0-megapixel 1080p FaceTime cameras for improved video quality on the machines' high-resolution displays. The Retina MacBook Pro models currently use a 720p camera.

- Timing: With the predicted WWDC keynote timing having come and gone, there is now considerable uncertainty about just when a Retina MacBook Pro update might occur. It seems unlikely that a launch would come within the next week or two given the proximity to WWDC, but any time after that would seem to be reasonable.

It also makes sense for Apple to target a launch before September, as the company is reportedly aiming to launch new iPhone and iPad models beginning around that time, with the new Mac Pro also presumed to be coming relatively late in the year. While Apple did stack up a number of hardware releases in the fall of 2012, ideally the company will be able to spread them out a bit more in 2013 to maintain public interest and smooth out sales spikes.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Updates Still to Come, But What Can We Expect?

Last edited:

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Im hoping the same battery life as the airs. Mavericks is suppose to help so I will update to it and take any battery life for my early 2013 rmbp.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Freshman college students would love an update by August

No question that students entering college would appreciate updates by August.

I know my son would! (us, too)

:)

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Im hoping the same battery life as the airs. Mavericks is suppose to help so I will update to it and take any battery life for my early 2013 rmbp.

You probably won't get the same battery life as the airs, due to the dGPU on the 15" and all the extra pixels both the 13" and 15" have to drive. However, it will nevertheless be a significant improvement.

Alfonsomac

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
As i said in the Haswell thread, the may come alongside the Mac Pro update, since they may have the new Thunderbolt 2.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Anybody think the MacBook Pros either this summer or eventually will receive the same black aluminum look as the Mac Pro?

I personally think it would look really cool! Don't get me wrong, the current design is beautiful and timeless, but I'd still be excited to see something new!

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I wonder when Apple will put the retina displays in the Airs and basically just combine the two platforms.

Nope.

They'll keep a consumer/"budget" (as much as Macs are "budget" line (Macbook Air) and a enthusiast/pro line (Retina Macbook Pro). I doubt we'll see retina screens on the air until Broadwell at least, if not Skylake.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Nothing like making up rumors that then people take as fact and get pissed when they're not released with those features.

If we were to believe the rumors then the iPhone would have a 6" screen, built-in projector, 3D screen, wireless charging, NFC and much more.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I am very excited for a MBP refresh. Hopefully the ghosting issue present with the LG displays in the rMBP are resolved.

I'm in the market for a new laptop and desktop.
Waiting until the Mac Pro price is revealed and what the new MBP line has to offer.

As far as a timeline for these releases are concerned, I don't think we are going to see a whole lot of Mac hardware being released (MBA excluded of course) before Mavericks is released. I think they would find it too convenient to post graphics and battery life specs based on Mavericks being installed as opposed to Mountain Lion. However they do have the "Mac Up-to-date" program so I guess it wouldn't be a huge issue..

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm hoping for 16GB RAM on the 15 inch base model, at the same current price!

Will that happen? I just think that if you buy a retina MacBook Pro, you want to invest in a great computer and you'll be using it for 3-5 years. What will 8GB of RAM be in 4 years? It will be what 4GB is today: nothing special, and not enough for good performance in Photoshop and video editing.

It's not upgradable, so you can't even wait until RAM prices go down. Which is stupid. I'd rather have non-upgradable Flash storage, as I can always use an external hard drive, and be able to upgrade the RAM later. There's no such thing as external RAM.

I think the 15 inch base model price is okay, could be cheaper, but it's acceptable. But for that price, give us a pro machine that will stay "pro" for many years.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
They need to fix that the computer goes into hibernation mode after 4 hrs of sleep (when plugged in) -- it takes a few minutes to start up from this, plus when unplugging the power from the machine, the hard drive starts up making it somewhat dangerous to lug around if the drive is spinning...

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't there a rumor floating around that the Air didn't get the retina because Apple was concerned with battery life? If there is some truth to that, "all day battery" isn't likely on the MacBook Pro.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Will that happen? I just think that if you buy a retina MacBook Pro, you want to invest in a great computer and you'll be using it for 3-5 years. What will 8GB of RAM be in 4 years? It will be what 4GB is today: nothing special, and not enough for good performance in Photoshop and video editing.

With the new compressed memory in future versions of OS X, and with the super fast SSDs now hitting the market, the 4gb of today is actually quite impressive and will go a long way. I suspect 8gb of RAM is more than enough for the majority of users into the foreseeable future. I doubt the next base models will include 16gb.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The way I see it:
- Back-to-School promo begins within the next 2 weeks
- iMac and Mac Mini get updated simultaneously in early-to-mid July
- Retina MacBook Pro line gets updated in late July or, more likely, early-to-mid August (though possible it gets updated along side the iMac and Mac Mini, not sure)
- iPhone and iPad get their own event as usual in the Fall

EDIT: Actually, as everyone's saying, totally dependent on Thunderbolt 2.0, not sure when it launches.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I'm still hoping they refresh the cmbp and lower the price on the current refurb models...lol

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
They need to fix that the computer goes into hibernation mode after 4 hrs of sleep (when plugged in) -- it takes a few minutes to start up from this, plus when unplugging the power from the machine, the hard drive starts up making it somewhat dangerous to lug around if the drive is spinning...

A few minutes to start from hibernation? It should take a couple of seconds, and the MacBook Pros don't have spinning hard drives they use all flash storage.

Your comment sounds like it has come from 2003 :p

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I am very excited about the upcoming non-retina MBP refresh. I guess it's safe to say that it's still the best allrounder while also the easiest to self-repair/upgrade. On my current model, I still have the DVD drive but I think they can finally let go of it.
One thing might be interesting... if I want to buy a new battery for my current MBP and the 2013 MBP refresh gets a battery upgrade, could this improve my MBP as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.