Macbook pro VS Alienware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timmillwood, Aug 28, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro
    2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
    120GB Serial ATA drive @ 5,400 rpm
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
    FOR ONLY $3099

Alienware Area-51 m5750
    2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz
    200GB (100GB x 2) Serial ATA @ 7,200 RPM
    Alienware® m5750 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD
    8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software*
    Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card*
    Bluetooth™ USB Adapter*
    FOR ONLY $3059

So Alienware has faster processer, 80GB more HHD, AMAZING resolution of 1920x1200 all for $40 less

The only problem is it runs Windows!

I hope the Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo has that good screen though, and 2 hard drives ready for time machine

2. macrumors 68000

Josias

Why would anyone make this comparison? It's like comparing a Pentium D Dual Core to an iBook G4.

The MBP is gonna be updated soon.

To your comments:
    Screen res.: Hvae you got any idea how impossible it would be to see anything on that screen. Remember that Windows ain't res. independent.

Faster processor: WTF? Apple will anounce tomorrow or at Paris.

Extra HDD: The reason AW can make room for 2 HDD's, is because that PC is like 2" thick.:p

3. macrumors G3

Sesshi

You forgot the graphics adapter difference, which is major. Portability is reduced but the Alienware system offers more power. Fact is, Dell /Alienware turns out higher-specced, better supported and more functional machines than Apple. But Apple stuff looks better, and of course with OS X works a lot nicer. Apple will never quite match the top-tier PC companies in terms of performance because their emphasis is a bit different but there's the elegance of operation to be appreciated. It's as they say in the UK; six of one, half a dozen of another. The buyer simply has to decide what his/her priorities are.

4. macrumors 603

Yes, from a pure power standpoint, the AlienWare is a better deal. I'm not at all surprised, because they are simply not in the same class of laptop: The AlienWare is "Portable Power", while the MBP is "Thin Power". They're close, but not the same.

Main difference: The AW laptop is 2/3 inch thicker (1.6x, that is), .6" wider, 1.1" deeper, and weighs 1.2 lbs more. Not a huge difference, but given that a 17" laptop is already monstrous, it's significant, and it more than likely accounts for the cost difference. I can say personally that my 17" MBP is at the absolute limit of what I'd like to carry around; were it any bigger, I'd have opted for the 15" model, since I couldn't legitimately call it portable.

The comparison also would have been totally different *yesterday* before they announced the Core 2 model, and the MBP will, of course, be updated with it in the near future, at which point it'll probably be similar again.

And I agree that the higher rez screen isn't necessarily a plus; some people like it, and that's great for them. Me, the rez on my MPB 17" is already at the absolute limit of what I'd want for my eyes--any higher, and it would be uncomfortable to use. I would actually consider that an anti-feature, and given the choice would take the lower-rez screen. Were OSX resolution independant (here's hoping for Leopard!), I'd reconsider, of course.

[Edit: And incidentally, there are several other things you're not comparing; the AlienWare has room for a second hard drive and a beefier graphics chip plus a media reader, but it doesn't have a FW800 port, optical audio input (does it have optical audio out?), or a built-in camera/microphone. For that matter, you could knock $200 off the price of the MBP by just buying the extra gig of RAM separately, and the AlienWare doesn't come with anything really comparable to iLife.]

Basically they serve different markets, but you're getting more or less what you pay for.

5. macrumors 65816

Chone

Between those two I'd definitely pick MacBook Pro, simply, for OS X, doesn't matter the alienware is 150mhz faster, OS X makes up for it by being the better, faster system :) as far as resolution goes... well I don't think you need 1920x1200 on a 17" screen, the MacBook Pro is sleeker and features nice things like the iSight, magsafe, etc, all the little things not to mention the MacBook can run Windows XP.

Ideally I would wait a week or so until Apple unveils the Merom MacBooks, who knows, processor aside, they might be redesigned with a better screen or some other nicety.

My vote goes for macbook because it has more features and Apple is coming out with a new macbook soon.

Summary: Sure the Alienware has speed and more res but OSX makes up for it not to mention MacBook Pro can run Windows XP and its getting an update soon.

6. macrumors member

I do not understand why I keep seeing people comparing an PC to Apple?!? Why compare the hardware? You buy the Apple computer if you want Mac and you buy the PC if you want Windows. It's as simple as that.

7. macrumors 68020

bobber205

All computers are portable. It's just some are easier to tote around than others. :D

8. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Quite simply because Apple is a hardware company that happens to make software.

And it's not as simple as that now that Macs can run Windows. The hardware will be compared now more than ever.

9. macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

To start off, there's no point in comparing. Alienware is most likely going to pack more power for the money. I don't shop from them, but I'm guessing they probably have coupons now and then, too, so in the end, Alienware probably wins by a larger margin.

But if you really did want to compare, the Apple puts up a good fight.

(1) You are comparing an Apple laptop from 8 months ago to an Alienware laptop updated yesterday.
    (2) Apple puts all the components into a much smaller space. As the chassis gets thinner, it seems to get exponentially harder to squeeze more things in while distributing heat. There is litte doubt that if you gave Apple another 0.6'' in thickness (I'm not even going to count in that the Alienware is wider and heavier) the Apple would be able tp push its specs to match the Alienware's. And remember prices - you pay a premium for thin.

However, Apple loses in two big areas.

(1) 1920x1200 resolution is a big step up from 1680x1050. I'm not sure how comfortable that is to read, though. If it's readable, then the Alienware easily burns out the Apple with 30% more screen real estate.
    (2) You didn't list the graphics card, but Alienware probably has a better graphics card than the MBP's x1600. They almost certainly have a x1600 if not better. And even if their card is the same, Alienware probably doesn't have to software underclock their GPU because they have more space to disperse heat.

10. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

Of coarse you can fit all that in a 3" thick, fugly laptop:D

And as for that screen res, it will look SOOOO crap with windoze:rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502

Quit with the ridiculous screen resolution whining. I can see 1920x1200 fine at 15.4". 17" is even easier. Just because you're blind doesn't mean everyone is. And guess what... Mac OS X isn't "resolution independant" either and never will be. You can already scale widgets / font sizes to be bigger in Windows if you want... Mac OS X isn't going to magically scale websites to be larger or images to be larger or WHATEVER. They're probably just going to ask app developers to use vector graphics in Leopard so that their navigation scales cleanly.

And there's not a 100% chance Apple will announce tomorrow or at Paris. Alienware is better today, nobody said they'd always have that edge.

Windows runs faster at pretty much everything I've tried... Mac OS X beachballs, pales in gaming performance, and network performance on wireless signals is poor.

Not saying I prefer Windows, but saying OS X is faster is a load of crap.

Why do you compare hardware? Uhhh... because you're buying the hardware.

You don't simply buy an Apple when you want Mac OS X anymore. It was before when Apples didn't run Windows. Things have changed now. Apple's actually gaining new converts instead of sliding backwards and relying on iPod sales.

One of the major reasons Apple is now a contender is because their hardware is no on-par with other computer manufacturers.

Something (even Apple) needs to understand now is that it's not Apple vs. PC. Apple is a "PC". They can fight Mac OS X versus Windows all they want, but that's their only distinction (and their aesthetic beauty, which is what won my heart).

12. macrumors member

You will always find better bargain in PCs when comparing hardware. If that is all that matters you wouldn't even consider Apple. That is what I mean. Sure you can compare the hardware... but PC will win. You need some other motivation to buy the Apple... In comes Mac OS (which is the biggest motivation in my mind).

The aesthetic argument is also quite understandable. I think that is one more motivation to buy a computer from Apple. Good service is also a motivation.

So what I am saying is that you're not buying hardware. You're buying so much more than that.

13. macrumors 68020

suneohair

Calm down ladies. :D

If you want to buy an Alienware, go for it. Whats the point of this anyway?

14. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Point is many still want the best hardware with the best software. Impossible!

15. macrumors 6502

...? why?

16. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats a silly question , why wouldnt you want the fastest machine for your hard earned $$$

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

God! i was just saying alienware was faster for the money!

I have been mac OSX for 3 years and would never get anything else but i would like a portable Mac Pro, i need the speed and the portability!

I also do a lot with photos and graphics so would love the higher res, i have 1920x1200 on my 24" screen and i want more!!

18. macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 1.66-inch thick laptop is a horrifying ball and chain to carry around for eternity, but 1-inch laptop is like carrying a bag of golden feathers floating on pixie dust.

19. macrumors regular

I just read this thread and don't remember anyone saying that.

20. macrumors 6502

I meant "why is it impossible?" :p

21. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So you can buy a 3 inch thick monster, or you can buy a sexy mbp. Your call.

22. macrumors G3

Sesshi

The funny thing is that on a transient level, the heavier (but not by much it has to be said) HP nx9420 feels lighter to me holding it in one hand because it's thicker than the MBP. The MBP weight feels more 'concentrated'.

23. macrumors 68040

decksnap

I'm not blind. 1680x1050 on my 20" is pushing it as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way.

24. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Because Apple has slim pickings for the consumer who is looking for the fastest machine while at the same time has the best software and blows away windows thats why its impossible....at the moment.

25. macrumors P6

twoodcc

this is not a good comparision. the macbook pro is better (with merom)

being a former owner of an alienware laptop owner, i can confirm that the alienware would sound like a jet waiting to fly out the window! and if you thought apple's laptops get hot....ha, you got another thing coming with alienware