MacBook Pro w/ Macromedia Studio Mx & Adobe Apps

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by albertfreestyle, Mar 31, 2006.

1. albertfreestyle macrumors member

I have the new Macbook Pro...1.8Ghz...1.5GB Ram...100GB 5400rpm Harddrive...
    I have Macromedia Studio Mx...And Adobe Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10...I do simple design GUI in flash and web oriented graphics...a little heavy stuff, but im into simplicity so most projects arent very big...

I sold my Dual 867 G4 (with 1GB ram) to buy this machine...
    These apps dont run as quickly as I would have liked (but faster than my dual 867 G4)...I knew this problem would happen when I bought the machine (but had to have it)...

But I wanted to get some feedback from others as to what experience you are getting using these apps in rosetta...

Sound off...I'd like to hear it.

I would like to say, Using IMovieHD has been fantastic for my home movie editing...

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I use Flash 8 just about every day on my 20" Intel iMac with 2GB Ram and it runs fine for what I do in Flash. I can't wait until it's UB and see what speed it has at that point but it's running just fine. For Apps. like iMovie, iPhoto and just started to really use PSE3, these run very nice on it.
    I'm not a power user yet, but things run just as smooth as on my iMac G5 did and well, faster with the iLife apps.
    Some time in April I'm going to start using DreamWeaver so we shall see how it performs with that and Flash 8 open at the same time with a touch of PSE4 (on it's way). That for me will be the test as to how well my Core Duo handles things

3. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Photoshop 7.0 works great on my macbook pro.
    I can't find my Macromedia install discs right
    now, so I haven't been able to test out Dreamweaver
    yet! The only program I have a problem running
    is Reason 3.0, which will hopefully be universal soon!

4. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

having the apps open at the same time boggs it down...its sorta frustrating...but ive learned to have only one or two apps open at one time...at least for now...im sure adobe will come out with some universal apps later this year...

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yeah, well on the box Studio 8 claims that you need/should have a min. of 1GB Ram (for smooth operation if more than one app. is open at a time) for it's programs even though 512 will work. So when having Flash 8, DW and something else open I can only imagine how much my iMac will be working since it's not UB right now.
    I really hope that Adobe doesn't screwup Flash 8 or DW when those changes are made for UB :rolleyes:

6. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

i can only hope adobe comes out with those apps quicker...

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Me too as I'm going to start making my cartoons animated in the next month or two with flash so the sooner the better but as long as it's done right and not rushed ;)

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My experiences with CS on a MacBook Pro (1 GB RAM) are mixed. While it runs comparably to my old 1.25Ghz PowerBook, it takes forever to load. I clocked InDesign CS at almost 4 minutes! Is there any way to speed the loading process?

9. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

i had a dual 867 g4 powermac...with 1gb of ram...it was great, but i really wanted the mobility, again, i am not the heavy graphic, heavy flash designer, i design simple GUI's, cool flash animation with a little backend (php, xml, etc)...im starting to get into a little video here and there...i want to get the sony HD camcorder...i just do basic home stuff with it, i drop video content into flash but the files i normally deal with arent very large so going from desktop to laptop (only) didnt hurt me that much...

i was going to buy a 17" powerbook (1.67 with loaded ram) on ebay or something, but i decided to get the latest machine - hoping the software will soon follow...i have macromedia studio mx and older adobe apps (photoshop 7 and illustrator 10) - which work fine for me, but i guess i can use an upgrade pretty soon...so thats why i decided to go with this macbook pro...its a great machine, just the software issue sucks (currently)

10. matperk macrumors 6502

I use both Studio 8 and CS2 and I don't have any problems with them whatsoever on my MBP 2.0

11. asencif macrumors 6502

That's the major issue right now for many users(Adobe/Macromedia Apps). Some are taking the plunge to Intel and are willing to deal with the slowness, however for how long no one knows for sure. It probably will be to early next year before Adobe releases CS3 and maybe till the Fall till another version of Macromedia Studio. Don't know how well coded Studio is, so if it's not too old then it will probably be UB. Adobe though is maybe seeing it as let's just make them UB only with their next upgrade.

Not sure if you can get an upgrade from PS7 and Illustrator 10. They probably will require you to have at least CS or maybe CS2 even. I think if one is a power user requiring to run Adobe then they should still go PPC. Maybe a refurb Powermac and then upgrade to Intel after it's at least almost two years into the transition...Fall 07 or Early 08. It all depends on the needs of the individual.

12. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

Dont kill me,

but why dont you give it a shot installing it under Windows XP on your MBP?

might actually run very fast!

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Don't hold your breath. Probably won't be until 2007.

14. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

what?
    are u crazy?
    you own a dell dont ya?

15. slazareth macrumors regular

I too have not had many problems. I use Adobe CS2 and Macromedia Studio 8 daily. While I can tell that the apps are slowed down a little I am quite happy with the speed at which they are running considering the conversion.

With Flash 8, Safari, Mail, Adium, iTunes (playing), iCal, Suitcase Fusion (powerpc), and CarryOut (some small app for managing todos), I launched InDesign CS2 and got a loadup time of exactly a minute.

I've got MBP 2.0GHz 2GB RAM and 100GB 7200 RPM HDD. Not once in the week or so I've had the MBP has it gotten to a point in slowness that I coudln't work or it became hard to work.

16. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Yeah, I've had the same type of experience,
    except with Propellerhead's Reason software.

Running THAT emulated SUCKS BAD.

It is so slow I can't even play a complex synth line
    when I run it emulated on a MBP.

17. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

No, I own a PowerMac and a Mac Mini.

The only reason I suggested that is because if you installed the windows version of the macromedia and creative suites, it would be running native, hence taking full advantage of the core duo.

Whereas, if you ran it under Rosetta in OSX, it would be dog slow.

I do not adore windows, but here, it just seems much more viable to run it under windows (natively) rather than under emulation

18. slazareth macrumors regular

I signed up to do a test of their UB version and it ran great. I could only have it open for 20 minutes at a time so after screwing around for the first 20 minute session it shut down and I uninstalled it, but needless to say that they should have a UB out soon that will run great on intels.

19. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

My main apps are M$ Office, Adobe Creative Suite (Heavy PS) and Macromedia Studio 8 - I run them all, everyday (pretty intensely) and the only app that i notice a difference (over the 2.1 G5) is photoshop, even then its only "nippiness".

Rosetta is just awesome to run these apps at anywhere near usable speeds. I love this machine and will love it even more in years to come when everything becomes a lot quicker

20. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

i have the 1.8 macbook with 1.5gb ram
    do u suggest i swap my 512mb ram stick for another 1gb for a total of 2gb?
    think it will help. my harddrive is 80gb 5400rpm....but i dont store anything (hardly) on it...i use an external HD for all storage (projects, video, music, photos, etc)...

will making one more upgrade to ram make a difference in speed?

21. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

i use office but not that much to care about an upgrade, that works fine for me.
    do you guys suggest i buy adobe cs2 and wait for an upgrade, or continue with my photoshop 7 and buy the full version (cs3) when its released? should i upgrade my macromedia studio mx? what will be more cost effective?

22. albertfreestyle thread starter macrumors member

i havent heard of this???
    are other people doing this???
    it actually works???

23. slazareth macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd tough it out until CS3 drops because you'll most likely get Macromedia Apps and Adobe apps all in one package.

Here's to hoping that the 2007 release date is just to cover themselves in case of an unforseen setback. Perhaps will see it later this year and if it is 2007, I hope it will be January. Leopard + CS3 + Intel PowerMac (Mac Pro?) is going to be sweeeet!

24. slazareth macrumors regular

Hmm, I'm not really sure how much of a difference it would make. I would think that you wouldn't notice too much of a speed increase. Try to watch Activity Monitor while you work. If you're Free Memory + Inactive Memory is low then you may want to upgrade to 2GB. Do a google search for how to understand the numbers in Activity Monitor's RAM readings... you'll find some pretty interesting stuff if you didn't know it already.

25. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Have you read the process to install windows? It's not really that easy, and seems to very unstable from what I have read. I think it will still be quite some time before windoze is running smoothly on a Mac. By that time, Adobe will probably have their universal software launched.