MacBook Pro w/ World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheAppleofAdam, May 10, 2006.

1. TheAppleofAdam macrumors newbie

TheAppleofAdam

So I just bought a 2ghz MacBook Pro yesterday. Opened it and the first thing I did was install World of Warcraft. Finally after all the system updates and WoW patches I log on- only to realize that after walking more than 10 yards the whole system would freeze up on me. Changed all the video settings down and turned off sound with the same results.

So then I wipe the hard disk and resinstall Tiger. Download/install system updates. Then install WoW patches and all. Again, when I walk a couple feet it quits on me. So I do some disk repairs/permissions off of install disk and go to bed praying this nightmare ends.

Wake up the next morning with the same problems... Everything else works PERFECTLY except WoW. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated :(

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which video card do you have?

I bought a 256MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (I know you don't have that one) for my MDD and the same thing happened to me over and over on WoW. Every other app/game worked fine. There was something about the ATI, the MDD, and WoW that caused the game to freeze my entire Mac. Troubleshot my ass off and never found a resolution. I just moved the ATI to a Quicksilver and it worked fine.

I know the corollation doesn't quite fit with the PCC/x86... but this sounds remarkably like what was happening to me with no explaination and no fix.

3. TheAppleofAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

TheAppleofAdam

Its the mid level MacBook Pro which has a ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory.

I had sporatic crash issues with my G4 because of the nVidia GeForce4Ti. The problem was "mostly" solved by wiping the disk and installing 10.3.9 without upgrading.

4. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Boot in Windows and see if it works fine.

Sounds like a hardware issue.

Works fine on my brother's MBP. (even faster than my G5 actually... :-( )

Mrmac

5. TheAppleofAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

TheAppleofAdam

Took it to a genus bar this afternoon and got a new one. woohoo genus bar!

6. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

7. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

Just bought a MBP 1.83 and ir runs smooth as hell!

As i said, better than my G5!

Sweet!

Mrmac

8. Lailoken macrumors member

Lock-up / Freeze / Crash

For me as well I get periodic (once or twice a day) freezes while playing World of Warcraft.

It's not the OS (I re-installed my OS X cleanly yesterday to try).

The funny thing is that my Teamspeakx still works fine (I'm on push-to-talk, so the keyboard works too), and I can ssh into my machine, but the GPU seems frozen. (No sound looping etc.)

Don't know what could be causing it... temperature? I don't think so so...

9. Froggyola macrumors newbie

Periodic World of Warcraft freezes for me too

Like Lailoken, I too get occasional system freezes while playing World of Warcraft. These freezes completely lock everying on the screen (mouse pointer won't move, system clock in menu bar doesn't update, System Monitor's CPU graph won't update, etc.).

I play WoW in window mode on a Dual 2.27 GHz PowerMac G5 with an aftermarket ATI Radeon X800 XT video card. The freezes occur ONLY when running WoW. It is only the display subsystem that locks up, however, as TeamSpeex, iTunes, etc. continue to run in the background. The keyboard still works because I can use the push-to-talk key with TeamSpeex, but there is no evidence of it on screen. Whatever happens to be on the screen at the time of the freeze is simply stuck there until I force-reboot.

I suspect this is some interraction between World of Warcraft and a recent Mac OS X update, since I've run WoW without a hitch on this machine for nearly a year. The freezes have only happened since some time in Oct 2006 or so.

Next time this happens to me, I'm going to try telneting to my G5 from another machine on my network. This would provide additional evidence that only the display subsystem is frozen.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If it were, I'd think it would happen to me too, and I have no problems.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The freezing problems are from the ATI card. I bought a 9800 Pro for an MDD and it would constantly freeze, no help/driver/anything from the ATI crowd. For whatever reason it worked like a charm in a Quicksilver. Guess where it is now?

12. Froggyola macrumors newbie

If this were true, I'd expect to have seen this problem earlier on my PowerMac G5 with ATI X800 card. I ran World of Warcraft with this setup for the better part of a year without a single problem. I've performed no firmware updates on the ATI card. Suddenly 2 months ago I began to see the screen freezes while playing WoW.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can assure you, it IS true. ;)

That 9800 Pro works like a charm for EVERYTHING I tested it with in the MDD, with the exception of WoW (which is why I bought it). It died on WoW everytime. Regardless of the settings. No idea why and ATI wasn't too helpful about it.

14. findnemo macrumors regular

Are you running on Windows or Mac? If you are on Windows then just overclock the graphics card back to it's orgininated specs. I run wow on all max with a tad overclock and fan control and it runs cool, and performs very, very well.

Oh wow, this post is like from 6 months back. Whoops, diddn't realize.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never had a freeze in WoW, and I've been playing for two years with several different Radeons: 9000 Pro, 9800 Pro, 9600, and two different X1600s. I therefore wouldn't just jump in and blame ATI.

16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have a 256 9550 radeon and I've never had any problems... :p