Macbook Pro, weird fan behaviour

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotdamn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hotdamn macrumors 6502

So, My Macbook Pro rev A I've owned for about 9 months has started to get very loud from time to time.

Also, when performing processor intensive tasks it gets overly hot.

I started poking around, and I found out that one of my fans might not be working.

[​IMG]

any ideas?

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Right one fan has stopped working and the other is running flat out to compensate. Take it in for a new fan.

3. richgaccione macrumors newbie

richgaccione

my right fan also stopped working. i had my MBP 15" for 6 months then the fan completely broke.
    i took it to the local apple store and they replaced both fans under factory warrany, no charges whatsoever.

4. Kevin R macrumors newbie

Both of my fans are dead. Was wondering what the turn around time is if you send it in. Has anyone tried to replace the fans themselves? I can't be without my notebook for too long and prefer not to be w/out it at all.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Take it to an Apple store. They usually have a fairly long turnaround time when you send it in.

6. Kevin R macrumors newbie

Will they be able to repair it in-store?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

they will probably take it into the back room. Give it at least a week.

8. Kevin R macrumors newbie

Next question is: :eek:

If I bring it in and they already know the issue. Can I bring it back when they get the part? Thanks for the info. I use this thing for school and work. My wife calls it my second brain. :D

9. Kevin R macrumors newbie

10. richgaccione macrumors newbie

richgaccione

they didnt have the fans in stock initially, and that was a friday.
    they called me on wednesday when the fans came in and i went and dropped it off. they called me on friday(3 days) and it was done.

very good experience, aside from the bum fans, they took good care of me.
    i did happen to tell them that i needed it by that coming monday because i was leaving for buisness for 3 weeks (which was true), and they respected my request to get it in and out as quick as possible.

11. zoran macrumors 68020

I have similar issue with heat perhaps, but i have a PowerMacG5 dual 1.8 and im running Leopard. The front fans are working but i have no idea if there are others on the behind of the tower tht might not be working.
    How many fans should the dualG5 have?