Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
kkapoor said:
I will be taking delivery of W8614 (week 14 build) either today of tomorrow. I will put up a post when I've had a chance to examine it.
thanks, im really hoping apple start ironing out these problems :/

thebill

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
The Home of H.A.L., Illinois
My W8609_YMMV

I have a W8609. Never had the screen whine. Never had the kind of whine that opening Photo Booth stopped, so what little noise I do hear mus' be fans (?). I get the occasional random "errrr, errrr" from the area under right palmrest, (a different fan?) maybe every 3-4 days.
No screen banding. No screen flicker.
Hot, yes, but can use on my lap. And the comment I read over & over that cracks me up :p .....yes the bar above the function keys is hot (not burning)....but why would you touch it there? I NEVER EVER touched that bar until I read about it in the Forums. :rolleyes:

My biggest problem had been that the AirPort dropped after 5 min. :mad: on my Netgear WGR614 v6 (but never on the routers @ friends or coffeshops), but the 10.4.6 Update fixed it. Huh.

Overall pretty good. Now I do have one comment about noise....ever since I did the Firmware Update the fan noise is more intense (practically silent b/4) when under load. Unexpected. I must say that it's still not as loud as me Olde Ti Book 667!

W8609 MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 7200rpm 100GB, OWC Ram :) added = 2 GB total

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
My MacBook Pro is perfect. No whine, no dead pixels, no other issues. 2.16 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 7200RPM HD. W8612 or whatever. Runs Windows and Mac OS X beautifully...probably the fastest Windows machine I've ever owned. Just throwing in my 2 cents and a little balance to the fact that there are perfect machines out there.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
kkapoor said:
I will be taking delivery of W8614 (week 14 build) either today of tomorrow. I will put up a post when I've had a chance to examine it.

How do you know what serial number you're getting BEFORE you get it? I just checked my shipping statement (shipped today :D ) and couldn't find a serial number.

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
MovieCutter said:
My MacBook Pro is perfect. No whine, no dead pixels, no other issues. 2.16 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 7200RPM HD. W8612 or whatever. Runs Windows and Mac OS X beautifully...probably the fastest Windows machine I've ever owned. Just throwing in my 2 cents and a little balance to the fact that there are perfect machines out there.

That is reassuring anyway :)

I'll be getting the 2.16, 2GB ram, 7200 HD, so I'm guessing it'll have to be built in China and shipped over, therefore have the latest build? (unless I pick up the 'ultimate configuration' at an apple store and have them put in the extra 1GB ram...I'd rather do this to be honest, but its more likely to be an older serial right?)

I'm starting to wonder whether the serial thing matters or not

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
eVolcre said:
How do you know what serial number you're getting BEFORE you get it? I just checked my shipping statement (shipped today :D ) and couldn't find a serial number.

I received my invoice via email which states the serial number of the product shipped. Once the item ships you should receive an email from "CAREPAID" with your invoice # and the details of the product incl. serial #.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Got it. Thanks. Here's what mine says

W86142*****

So, is that the same as yours?

dailo

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
I hope the issue is fixed. I do not think the programs out there or opening/closing comic life should be a permanent solution to solve the whining issues. Plus I'd rather get a new revision if it does in fact run cooler than the earlier revisions.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
eVolcre said:
Got it. Thanks. Here's what mine says

W86142*****

So, is that the same as yours?

Yup, you have the same build week as me. (Week 14). This is the latest build week from what I gather.

Heres a breakdown of the #'s

W8= Factory # in China
6 = Build year 2006
14 = Build week 14 (Which was last week)

It's here. I'm just waiting for it clear customs.

Attachments

• Tracking.PNG
    Tracking.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 125

zenvision

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
London
dailo said:
I hope the issue is fixed. I do not think the programs out there or opening/closing comic life should be a permanent solution to solve the whining issues. Plus I'd rather get a new revision if it does in fact run cooler than the earlier revisions.

agreed. heres hoping the week 14 builds are slightly better (well, i want perfect but...)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Actually, I wish they would have waited ONE day. Mine shipped on Sunday so it was the 14 one. It would have been 15 if it shipped today or tomorow right>

Oh well, I think I'm obsessing about this. Specs can't change so much from week to week. I think its the placebo effect

eV

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
Chrispy said:
This disturbs me. I would buy a MBP if it was not for these problems... sigh. Why can't Apple just make a 15" laptop that freakin' works.

That exactly how I feel. I mean for 2000US$...you would expect more since other companies like Sony, Toshiba manages to churn out similarly spec'd out notebooks with not WHINE, Screen issues, etc. Maybe its coz of stricter Japanese quality control...

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I just got my MBP rev.d and yeapp...i hear the whine. does having the mirror widget really draIN BATTERY??

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
AJ Muni said:
I just got my MBP rev.d and yeapp...i hear the whine. does having the mirror widget really draIN BATTERY??

Yes, it will since it draws power from iSight. Plus, you get the green light on and this can get annoying. You shouldn't have to open other apps to get a $2000 ($2500 in my case) laptop working properly.

I am glad I'm finally going to the Apple Store tommorow. I'll let you know what they say.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
wickedG35 said:
Yes, it will since it draws power from iSight. Plus, you get the green light on and this can get annoying. You shouldn't have to open other apps to get a $2000 ($2500 in my case) laptop working properly.

I am glad I'm finally going to the Apple Store tommorow. I'll let you know what they say.

Yeah let me know what happens man...I'll be interested to kno. The guy selling it to me was real cool..and hey told me that if i downloaded the Macbook Pro firmware update 1.0, that it would cut the whining down to 50% less. I downloaded it, but it says i need a program to open the pkg...what so i do?

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
i figured it out...nly problem now is that i cant click on More info...in " about this mac" ...

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
wickedG35 said:

I thought you just had to open the widget and close it immedialy. Does it have to be on all the time?

Ok - one more question. I rarely, never actually, shut down my machine all the way. Just clsoe th elid. So, if I boot up, run mirror widget, close mirror widget, does that take the whine away until the next BOOTUP or until you close the screen?

Kiff

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2006
eVolcre said:
I thought you just had to open the widget and close it immedialy. Does it have to be on all the time?

Ok - one more question. I rarely, never actually, shut down my machine all the way. Just clsoe th elid. So, if I boot up, run mirror widget, close mirror widget, does that take the whine away until the next BOOTUP or until you close the screen?
Well there are reports that it indeed works that way... But only for those people, not me... :(
First time I booted I heard the whine, downloaded Mirror and closed it after the whine stopped. And yes it was completely gone! My moment of joy was short to find the next time it didn't work anymore.
I now use the script "Quiet MBP" which does the trick, but decreases battery life.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Kaiser Phoenix said:
That exactly how I feel. I mean for 2000US$...you would expect more since other companies like Sony, Toshiba manages to churn out similarly spec'd out notebooks with not WHINE, Screen issues, etc. Maybe its coz of stricter Japanese quality control...

There is an elevated degree of risk with Rev. A products... all manufacturers have their problems.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
eVolcre said:

No...you have to have the widget open, hence always have the isight on. SUCKS bigtime but hopefully itll be addressed with another firmware update.

BTW, mine is week 11.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
MovieCutter said:

Same week 12 computer here without any problems. I'm happy.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
raptorhigh said:
Same week 12 computer here without any problems. I'm happy.

When you maxed everything else out, why did you leave the RAM at 1 gig? Arguably, bumping the RAm to 2 gigs would have more of a perceivable difference than the faster processor or hard drive ...

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Are Mac Laptops Crap? Yes.

I have been waiting for a mac laptop to come out without problems since I bought mine. Nope. The big screens had lines in them, the macbooks have airport problems and whines. WHAT THE HELL? Come on apple, lets get our stuff together.

Buying an apple laptop is like gambling. I don't gamble.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
MacTruck said:
I have been waiting for a mac laptop to come out without problems since I bought mine. Nope. The big screens had lines in them, the macbooks have airport problems and whines. WHAT THE HELL? Come on apple, lets get our stuff together.

Buying an apple laptop is like gambling. I don't gamble.

The only problem with my MBP is the whine. I think some people exaggerate about how it is. You can hear it, but its not like the computer is useless. Its not THAT BAD. The airport I think is alot better. When i had my powerbook, it only picked up my signal, and yesturday with my new MBP it picked up 3 different signals. In my case the reception is muuuch improved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.