MacBook Pro whine related to degree of battery usage-Flaw somewhere in power supply?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mtoddy, May 18, 2006.

1. mtoddy macrumors newbie

I love my MacBook Pro. I hate its whine. I made a discovery tonight as I dealt with its high-pitched noise...

A couple hours ago I took it off AC power and the whine began, running on battery. I used the machine til there was about an hour of power left on it. So I plugged it back in and let it recharge.

I've been watching the estimated time left for complete recharge and it was steadily decreasing. Well, eventually I noticed the whine getting lower and lower in intensity. At the same time, the estimated time left for recharge was not decreasing. But, as I observed, the percentage of charge was increasing. So, it is clear that less and less power is dedicated to the recharging of the battery as it gets nearer to 100% charged. (Understand my logic here?)

My point here is, it is clear that the problem is related to the computer's power management. But people have been calling this a CPU whine... Is it possible that this is, instead, a whine eminating from the power supply or battery or something inbetween?

What are your thoughts???

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The could certainly be possible. This application can play a scale with the power supply on some Macs. It works on mine, and is kinda funny to hear, if horribly out of tune.

3. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I have no doubts that the whine is due to poor power management. When I plug my 17" MBP to it's charger, the whine starts. The whine would go away when you only run on one core with CHUD tools. When you switch to single core, power is probably being redistributed and the whine begins.

4. remowilliams macrumors member

That's sort of funny. I just tried it on my MBP17 and I don't hear anything though.

5. mtoddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I called Apple today and before they would even send me a shipping box to get the computer to them, they insisted (even after being upgraded to a supervisor) that I first go to an Apple store and have them authorize a repair. What ever happened to AppleCare?

Anywho, the guy at the store took the computer in the back room and came out in like 15 seconds telling me he has determined the problem to be in the video interter and that Apple would now service the computer.

Video power inverter? This sounds like bull to me... My problems are completely unrelated to video...

I'm not really sure what to say anymore. I will be calling Apple tomorrow with what will hopefully be many many more unsatisfied MacBook Pro owners. Check this out to learn about the event

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I think he just went in the back and spun the wheel of BS problems.
    Good thing you didn't land on "Bankrupt". Then he would tell you that you broke it and it's not covered under Apple Care.
    Video Power inverter?

7. mtoddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize Apple made those! But I shouldn't be surprised... they are quite an innovative company :)

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

mtoddy - take a deep cleansing breath. There IS a documented flaw with a batch of power inverters for the LCD. The symptom is a lower frequency buzzing - not the high pitched whine that so many are complaining about. The symptom is noise even though it comes from a component that supplies power for the LCD.

That said, it may or may not be your issue - but the LCD power inverter problem is well known.

9. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Well they're taking your computer for repair, so don't sweat, just see what it's like when it comes back. They're doing the same for me with my whining MBP.

10. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

When I took it into the Apple Store (I took it in first, before I called AppleCare), the guy also went to the back with my laptop. He said he had fixed the issue of the whine. I opened the lid, and I noticed the green iSight light on but no programs running. The f*cker loaded the mirror widget and tried to pass it off hoping I won't notice. I told him that I don't consider the mirror widget a FIX to the processor whine. He then suggested repair. I got it sent back (after 3 weeks, total BS) and it was pretty much in the same condition I shipped it out. The whine was still present. I called again and demanded a supervisor. He first tried to offer me free software or RAM ugprade, but I told him that THAT would not fix the issue of the whine. After about an hour long conversation, he offered a new macbook pro. I figured that a new 15" MBP would probably still whine, so he then offered the 17" if I added $300. I now have the 17" and it is VERY quiet. The whine is still there when plugged in, but it at such a low level, that I don't notice it. I don't want to go to the troubles I went through (which NO ONE should go through when buying a $2,500+ NOTEBOOK!) so I'll be keeping this system.

Try getting to a supervisor/upper manager! Don't settle for a noisy computer.