MacBook Pro will not boot from DVD post 10.5.7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qua, May 28, 2009.

1. qua
    macrumors member

After installing 10.5.7 update (full version) my MacBook Pro (latest - 2.8) will not boot from install DVD. Nor will it boot from other repair boot DVDs. Nor can remote DVD from a MacBook Air discover the DVD drive. Did boot in save mode and repaired permissions, no help. Could it be (coincidentally) the drive or could something have gotten messed up. I'm isolated out of the country right now on Easter Island in the Pacific, so I hope someone has some helpful ideas. Thanks.

2. macrumors 68030

benthewraith

When you insert the disk, does it even mount? If so, have you tried going through System Preferences -> Startup Disk ?

3. qua
    thread starter macrumors member

Mounts

Add DVD and CDs mount and function properly.

4. qua

Startup disk

Selecting DVD for startup disk also does not work. Same result, seems to look for DVD, fails after a while, screen goes black, restart bong, repeat, etc.

5. macrumors 604

Cave Man

What is the OS version (10.5.x) on the Installer DVD and what message you get when you try to boot from it?

6. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...another "easy" thing to try that can sometimes resolve odd issues is to zap the pram (hold command+option+p+r at boot...let it "bong" twice)....oh yeah!

7. macrumors newbie

Any solution?

I'm having this same problem (booting new model MBP from Leopard DVD results in endless reboot loop). Resetting the PRAM didn't help. This is a retail copy of Leopard which I've used before (on this machine, even).

Has anybody found a solution to this?

8. qua

sorry to see another have this issue

If you find out what is causing it, even if I need a repair, please post it. Thanks.

Still unresolved. Isolated out of the country so I have no access to a genius bar. No boot disk of any kind does anything but loop restart tries. Disks mount, etc. One odd disfunction to add - friends MacBook Air now cannot access DVD on my computer, all other aspects of connection ok.

Crossing my fingers for no need of boot disk for two whole months. Arrghh.

9. macrumors newbie

actually, i did

I figured it out about an hour after my post - I meant to come back and post a follow-up; my bad.

Anyway, it seems the new Macbook Pros (and maybe the other new Macbooks) won't boot off the stock Leopard DVD - they need the 10.5.5 DVD that they shipped with.

10. macrumors newbie

heh

... and I guess that means I lied in my previous post and I hadn't actually used it on this machine. Must've just used the discs it shipped with when I reinstalled, and then forgotten that fact.

11. macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's what I was getting at. The 9400m-based Macs need drivers from the 10.5.5 installer.

12. qua

You guys are great

I'm still stuck on an island in the Pacific with a laptop that I can't boot off a DVD, but at least I know what the problem is. To spare packing space I limited what I brought. For boot I brought a generic 10.5.3 disk that DID work, and a Drive Genius disk that also worked. Neither after the update (which on looking back I should have held off applying). My bad for leaving original disks behind. Thanks.