MacBook Pro with Dead NVidia GPU: Apple's Official Statemen...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 10, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Nice to see they are doing something about it, especially since NVIDIA said macs aren't affected.

I will also add that I have been very impressed with Apple's repair services. My launch 24" iMac first eventually had a jammed disc drive and some light leakage along the top of the display, both of which were fixed. It later also had a defective graphics card and that was fixed quickly as well. Great job, Apple.

3. macrumors 6502a

justflie

Sweet. This happened to me maybe 6 months ago before we knew that the GPUs were defective. Good to see that Apple didn't take Nvidia's word for it and checked on their own.

4. macrumors 6502

Mattjeff

So this means free repair if it happens again?

5. macrumors 6502

Is mine effected?

I have a Macbook pro manufactured during this period. Occasionally the screen goes black and I have to force shutdown and reboot for it to come back up - is this a symptom or just a common problem?

6. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Bah...how typical.

I take my laptop back to John Lewis (it is in its second year, so it is the 3rd party warranty now) and a day later Apple releases an official statement on their stance and what they will cover.

I'd much rather have Apple than a 3rd party meddling with my laptop..

7. macrumors regular

Needs tighter quality control and Apple should have admitted it much earlier. Many of my friends are pulling their hair because of this issue, but glad apple is going to take care of those who have this issue

8. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Oh... dang it... it was confirmed that there were new macbooks yesterday... I'm too late to point out the fact that they mentioned that they stopped producing this model last month which means they probably started a new one.

... gotta recognize these things faster in the future so that I can be the first one to jump up and down and point at an obvious sign that new models are coming.

9. macrumors newbie

What will they repair/replace it with???

Hi, I'm new to the world of Apple and have one of the affected MacBook Pro's, I have been waiting for an apple announcement before contacting them.

Is it likely that they will repair or replace the logic board with the same type (and so the possiblity of the same thing happening again) or are they more likely to replace with one of the upcoming new models?

Just wondering how whether to visit my apple store this weekend or wait to the new models are out.

Thanks