MacBook Pro with Retina display - Flash Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by navo11, Apr 22, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi

I am planning to buy MacBook Pro with Retina display 13inch - 3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz but struggling to decide on the size of Flash Drive 256 or 512 (GB) to configure. Please recommend keeping the following in mind:-

1) It'll be used for Mac App & IOS developments apart from storing Photos, Music files and Videos.
    2) Also, i intend to install windows and use it for other windows os based development.
    3) Will higher flash drive impact the processing speed even though i have opted for the best spec available.

Regards
    Navneet

2. macrumors 68000

B...

Flash size will not affect performance, but given that you want to store Windows, Music, Photos and Videos, I would go for the biggest size SSD you can afford. That would be, I guess, 512 GB. However, you can upgrade it later with OEM Samsung drives and OWC drives (but they are very expensive).

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 68040

with external usb 3 drives and the ability to access files over a network, I think you can get away with 256 if you're willing to just store the really important stuff on the internal ssd and the rest on an external.

5. macrumors 68000

The size of the flash drive doesn't affect the performance. The cost difference is $300. If you wanted in the future to increase the drive size you would need to buy a third party SSD which costs more. Bottom is if you can afford it, the larger drive is worth it. It's what I did since I plan to keep the machine for a while.