Macbook Pro won't shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gtessier00, Jan 26, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a problem which occurs about 3/4 times when I shutdown my MBP early-2011. As the title says, it just won't shutdown and stays on the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

I always close everything before shutting it down...

Any advice???

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you close all apps, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may still be running that's causing it to hang on shutdown. You can always force it to shut down by pressing and holding the power button for 10-15 seconds.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I do but I hate doing that. I don't want to hurt my 2000 bucks laptop :eek: .

But thanks for the advice concerning the activity monitor, I'll try that!

4. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Something tells me this isn't to do with an app hanging on shutdown...

@OP, try repairing disk permissions.
    When did this problem start?
    Do you keep backups?

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not the best way to shut down, but you won't hurt it by doing so.
    Any facts to support your theory?
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem started something like 6 months ago. I bought the laptop 12 months ago. I also did a clean install of Lion (like 3 months ago) and it's doing it again. Not every time, but some like 2/4 or 3/4 times.

Yes, I do keep backups on a time capsule and on another external HDD.

Well, for now, I did 2 shutdown. One time there were no apps with high % cpu running, and the shutdown worked. The second time, I have to force quit an app that had 5% cpu use, and the shutdown worked again. That seems to work, but I find it weird that apps prevent the MBP from shutting down...!

7. ryannazaretian, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Try booting into verbose mode a few times until you get the lock up. When shutting down, you should see what process is taking a long time to kill.

To boot into verbose mode, simply hold down Command+V when you push the power button, until the black screen with text comes up.
    This won't fix it, but it will help you debug it.

I've been lucky in the past with starting into safe mode.
    It will take a lot longer to boot during safe mode, but that's because it's doing its job, and it doesn't indicate anything is wrong.