MacBook Pro! WOW

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chosenwolf, Mar 12, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I used one today for the first time @ the Apple Store and am very impressed! I've decided to ditch the idea of buying a 12" PowerBook and going for the 15.4" MBP

I'm pretty solid on the 1.83ghz model for $1999. Any reason to get the $2,499 2.0ghz model for a person who is just going to surf, type up documents, and do light photoshop work?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

no need for the more expensive model at all. stay with the cheaper one. it will more than fit your needs ( several times over ).

3. Legacy macrumors 6502

Course not, just add more RAM, I would recommend a self-install 1GB chip to bring RAM to 1.5GB...you wont need an upgrade for at least 2-3years that way...

4. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yeah that's true. but hey if you want the extra juice and have the money, then more power to ya.

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i try to think of these things as, for the $500 (minus the cost of the extra 512 ram), how much longer will the machine last before I must upgrade. is it $500 worth of time?

that method, of course, requires that all the features are the same except upgraded. it doesnt take into account the backlit keyboard, and superdrive that I should have paid for on this RevC PB.

6. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Does the MacBook Pro have a backlit keyboard? I plan to get the 1.83 and get a 1gb ram stick like you guys mentioned.

7. Gurutech macrumors 6502

backlit keyboard is the standard feature for all MBP.

Great choice :p

8. milner007 macrumors newbie

milner007

i love my MBP 2.0 i got a education discount because my bro goes to uni and got like 12% off, have a look into it is worth it if u can get it

9. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I went to the online store, and the price dropped from $1999 to $1799. But then you add the tax ($148) and your total comes out to around $1947 for the 1.83ghz.

I used both systems at the store for a long time (just browsing, typing, no final cut stuff) and there wasn't much difference. Nothing very noticeable...

10. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

I think youve answered your question. For what you are going to be doing, the 1.83 should be just fine. My computing needs are similar to yours, but I decided to go with the 2.0 for the standard 1 GB RAM (~$100), the bigger harddrive (~$100), faster CPU, and resale. The 256MB VRAM was not that important to me, but was still taken into account when justifying the cost.

Either way, I dont think you will regret your decision.

Good luck!

11. Gurutech macrumors 6502

If I order through the campus store, we get another 5% discount. :)

with the Student Discount, .. the MBP 1.83 costs around 1850. :D

Can't wait my MBP !!

12. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Definately thought about it, and I'm going to go with the 2.0

I figured I'd go all the way for only $500 more. I will definately use the 20 extra gigs and 1GB of RAM should be sufficient.

13. taylorpohlman macrumors member

You might want to check out MacConnection - pretty standard list pricing, but $150 rebate, no tax and free shipping - might end up close, or better than your ed discount, depending on the taxes in your state - I got mine (2Ghz, 1GB) there, pretty smooth. On the other hand, if you want some local support, might be better to use your local source - just thought I'd make sure you knew about the option...

T

14. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

How long did it take to arrive after ordering? And then it might take another couple of months to receive rebate?

Just checked the website. It takes 2+ weeks before it ships since it is on order and the rebate ends 3/31...