MacBook Pro - WWDC Update Likely and if so, what might change?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NATO, Jul 28, 2006.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I normally hate these kind of threads, but I really am looking for an answer and I haven't been able to find any definitive advice on the forums.

Basically I want to buy a MacBook Pro now (I'm itching to place the order), but I am aware that the WWDC Keynote is on 7th August. What I would like to know is if the MacBook Pro is likely to receive some sort of update and if so, is it likely to be much of an upgrade from the existing machine? Would I be best waiting until after the Keynote, or would I just be wasting my time?

I've been keeping track of the rumours surrounding the mac pro etc, but I haven't heard much about the MacBook Pro, hence this post.

Many Thanks for any advice.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Best to wait

Merom 64-bit chip is nearly certain

4. 4legsmedia macrumors newbie

I would wait, it is only a week... but I understand how you feel, I'm also itching to buy an iMac right now, but I better wait.
    Just relax :) In a week we will know.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

You've got that right!

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Pleeeeeease update the resolution to 1680 x 1050! PLEASE Apple!

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What? On the 15"?

The 17" is 1680x1050. I'd like to see the resolutions go up too, especially with 10.5's promise of resolution independence.

Once that little feature is in place I want to see the MacBook get 1920x1200 on it's 13" screen and upwards from there. The OS and UI would look much the same as today only much, much clearer and you would have the ability to play HD movies at native resolution. Resolution independence means the UI doesn't get smaller as the resolution goes up, it stays roughly the same but gets clearer as more pixels form the images. It would be a gorgeous screen.

Can you imagine the 17" MBP with a 2560x1600 screen where everything looks the same as it does now but you can open a 4MP image and see every single pixel? Or have text reproduced on the screen with the same quality as a printed page? That would be amazing eh?

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Here's what I think:

Apple have been rading these forums, and the sale of MBP's have obviously decreased, because of WWDC. They know people are waiting till then to buy a MBP, so I think they will wait a couple more weeks after WWDC, and then when everyone least expects it, release the super new mind blowing MBP, and everyone else who bought a MBP prior to that will be cursing Apple.;) :D

10. iBrow macrumors regular

We'll probably see Merom and possibly a new case design. :)

11. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

That's what I was hoping to hear, clearly there's definitely something in the pipeline. Do you reckon it'll be WWDC then, and not a later date?

The two things I'm interested in are the Merom CPUs and a Magnetic Latch for the case. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that Merom-equipped Laptops aren't likely to ship until late August (link

On a side note, has anyone got or seen a MacBook Pro with a glossy screen? I would traditionally go with the Matte, but I'm starting to consider glossy. The MacBook seems to have gained a lot support for its glossy screen and I'm just wondering if the larger screen size of the MacBook Pro would suit a Matte finish. I've found plenty of pics on the net showing the MacBook glossy screen, but nothing for the MacBook Pro yet. . .

12. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

I know that sounds unlikely, but it's possible that could actually happen knowing my luck :p

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I want some wuxga lcd in the macbook pros. 1900x1200 would be wicked.

14. SwitchedBack2XP macrumors member

Yea Dell and Lenovo sell 15 inch WUXGA screens, why can't Apple?!

15. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

What is WUXGA:confused:

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

wikipedia is your friend

" display resolution of 1920×1200 pixels with a 16:10 screen aspect ratio."

17. reflex macrumors 6502a

I really hope they don't. As it is, I'm unsure if the current resolution of the MBP screens is too much for me already.

18. milo macrumors 604

Which is why we need resolution-independent interface. Give us high resolution, if you want the interface bigger, you just make the adjustment in the preferences.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

My guess is a quick 30 second spill at WWDC about and shipping september 1 type thing.

What makes me a little nervous is how an Apple source back about late Feb, Early March explained to me how MBP 17" would come out on or around April 1. Well you know what happened. I even read some guess on here for it to come around that same time.

Now I know this is a little different, but sometimes in the midst of the discussions it kinda feels like it did back when I was told when MBP 17" was supposibly comming out...

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Is that a hint? Or are you just speculating?

21. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh no just speculating.. I dont have any sources anymore...

22. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Damnit I need 10.5 now.....

23. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

All I really want is an increase in everything. increase in hard drive or maybe a 120 at 7200 rpm, increase to 2.33, increase, to 512 vcard (or maybe the x1800 I keep hearing about). Stuff like that would be nice...

Oh and how about some express 34 cards...thats not so much apple but come on...

24. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Obviously :)

I don't agree with higher res on the macbook, just on the mbp, since that is the machine to actually use all those 'pro' apps where you need the res. If the 17" went 2560x1600 I would buy it, no doubt, but I highly doubt. I would be more than pleased with a 1680x1050 on the 15" and 1920x1200 on the 17" (which wouldn't decrease the panels quality as opposed to the 2560x1600 dream of yours :) )

Screen real estate is the way to go!

25. aaronb macrumors regular

Yes, I have also heard about Merom being in consumer computers by the end of August. Anybody think its still likely to hear anything at WWDC? I really hope it isn't an announcement made during ParisExpo.