MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koban4max, Jul 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

hey guys, i know there are lots of threads about macbook pro...but i feel like i need an another thread...sorry...anyhow...

I'm dropping 2k for a macbook pro.... but i was thinking about getting a mac pro....since the price might be at that range....

First of all...should i even wait for any refreshes for either?

Second, if i'm dropping at least 2k...should i get retina Rmbp?

third...or should i wait...?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What are your expected needs? Not knowing how you're going to use it, makes it impossible to offer any advice.

Do you need a mobile solution, i.e., plan on taking it with you? If you're thinking of a Mac Pro why not include an iMac in the decision choice?

3. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

I wouldn't count on a new Mac Pro being in that price range, just a hunch.

As for retina or not, only you can decide whether you need it (and can justify the cost), but keep in mind a Mac Pro won't have that feature.

4. macrumors 65816

designs216

To me, the retina premium is not worth it. You can pick up a refurb 2012 cMBP for around $1700 and upgrade it yourself later when you have the funds. The MBP is a capable desktop replacement for almost every use case and it can travel if necessary.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

sorry, but to be specific...i would use it for heavy work with logic and adobe cs5 and homework....

i know that i need to upgrade memory..but i would need somewhat high end 15 inches...

----------

you are correct...but i meant to say 2k to 3k...sorry..

----------

i mean i have 2011 mbp 15 inches with 8 gig rams...and i need to buy another one..for my lady..i installed her microsoft office for her use...
    therefore i would need one for myself...

as you mentioned...could it replace desktop?

6. macrumors 6502a

It certainly can. But do you want a laptop or a desktop? I agree with the other posters get a classic 2012 15 inch

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

i wouldn't mind getting 2012...but then new one comes out...oh boy...
    plus does it does it have 3.0 usb? i know it doesn't have cd drive...which i still need to use it.

8. macrumors 6502a

Actually it does have a cd drive. I think.... At least the 13 inch one does yes I checked 15 inch still has the superdrive. The retina one doesn't. And yes usb 3.0 is on the 2012 model for both retina and non-retina. And nobody knows for sure but general speculation is Apple won't update the nonretina models as part of a plan to phase them out. However, I take that with a grain of salt since nobody really knows what Apple will do.

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

i think u and others gave me a great info on macbook pro. I'll look into more detail about this new model...and if nothing..i'll go buy it.

10. macrumors newbie

Would you consider getting a refurbished MacBook Pro? They can be half the price starting at around $900

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

that's what i'm worry about.