Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaunM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
first off just wanted to say hi, im new on here and new to the mac world...i just got my macbook pro, and was wondering if anyone could help me with limewire and or morphous.. im a dj and would like to start to use sites like this to download music..
thank you
shaun

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Unless you're looking for music that is legally available for free, we can't help you.

ShaunM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
limewire is a subscription, i had an account.... but heard there were problems with it running on this computer, and wanted to see if anyone had experience with it...

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
ShaunM said:
limewire is a subscription, i had an account.... but heard there were problems with it running on this computer, and wanted to see if anyone had experience with it...
Whoa. IT'S ILLEGAL. I DON'T CARE IF YOU PAY FOR PREMIUM SERVICE OR WHATEVER. LIMEWIRE IS ILLEGAL.
We won't help you here, bud. Use iTunes. Be fair.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
amateurmacfreak said:
Whoa. IT'S ILLEGAL. I DON'T CARE IF YOU PAY FOR PREMIUM SERVICE OR WHATEVER. LIMEWIRE IS ILLEGAL.
We won't help you here, bud. Use iTunes. Be fair.

Limewire is not illegal. Saying that is like saying Dvd burners are illegal. And guns are illegal. Just because people can use certain tools to do bad things does not automatically make them illegal. There has been no law passed that specifically makes P2P programs illegal yet. I am sure there is plenty of public license stuff on limewire that anyone can use without the RIAA pounding down your door.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
badmofo9000 said:
Limewire is not illegal. Saying that is like saying Dvd burners are illegal. And guns are illegal. Just because people can use certain tools to do bad things does not automatically make them illegal. There has been no law passed that specifically makes P2P programs illegal yet. I am sure there is plenty of public license stuff on limewire that anyone can use without the RIAA pounding down your door.

Well, guns aren't really illegal. You know, the Bill of Rights, and stuff...:rolleyes:

But yeah, MacRumors isn't really in to discussing illegal downloads of music, which is obviously what you aim to do...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
badmofo9000 said:
I am sure there is plenty of public license stuff on limewire that anyone can use without the RIAA pounding down your door.

I don't think any successful DJ will be playing only stuff from before 1922...
public domain info

Music and lyrics written by an American author and published in 1922 or earlier are in the Public Domain in the United States. No one can claim ownership of a song in the public domain, therefore public domain songs may be used by everyone. PD songs may be used for profit-making without paying any royalties. If you create a new version or derivative of a public domain song, you can copyright your version and no one can use it without your permission. However, the song remains in the public domain, and anyone else can also make and copyright their own version of the same PD song.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
katie ta achoo said:
I don't think any successful DJ will be playing only stuff from before 1922...
public domain info

I am sure that some bands put music out under a creative commons type license. Not all bands are involved in copy writing their music. The vast majority are but, just stating that someone downloads music off of limewire does not directly mean they are downloading protected music. People should chill out. If the poster who requested info actually wanted to link to a specific file then I would see the issue, but requesting info in limewire by itself does not equal illegal activities.

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Well, guns aren't really illegal. You know, the Bill of Rights, and stuff...:rolleyes:

But yeah, MacRumors isn't really in to discussing illegal downloads of music, which is obviously what you aim to do...

That was my point. Just because they can be used to do illegal things doesnt make them illegal. :rolleyes:

ShaunM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
sorry guys i didnt realize it was illegal, honestly thought if you were paying for it, it was legit...
any one recommend any legit sites for music, im really new to downloading music and everything i have is on cd or vinal, just thought i would try something new.
thanks
shaun

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
But of course...

ShaunM said:
sorry guys i didnt realize it was illegal, honestly thought if you were paying for it, it was legit...
any one recommend any legit sites for music, im really new to downloading music and everything i have is on cd or vinal, just thought i would try something new.
thanks
shaun

http://www.apple.com/itunes/ :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ShaunM said:
thanks
shaun

Limewire is simply a program that lets users connect to each other...they have nothing to do with the content that is being shared between the users. So when you pay for Limewire, you're just paying for the their support and a few other small perks. They take no responsibility for the content being shared, as it's not located on their servers. Much of this content is covered by copyright laws, and thus it is illegal to download.

jofarmer

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
ShaunM said:
thanks
shaun

Go'n'use http://www.emusic.com. It's legal, fair, songs have better encoding quality and cost less than in itms and emusic.com has more indy-labels whereas itms has mainly mainstream music.

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2005
You guys should remember that we aren't all in the US. Here in Canada for instance, downloading / uploading music via P2P is not illegal (at least not clearly), according to our supreme court, and despite the best efforts of the record industry to convince the public into thinking so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.