MacBook Pro???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ShaunM, Feb 28, 2006.

1. ShaunM macrumors newbie

first off just wanted to say hi, im new on here and new to the mac world...i just got my macbook pro, and was wondering if anyone could help me with limewire and or morphous.. im a dj and would like to start to use sites like this to download music..
    thank you
    shaun

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You won't find any help with illegal activities here...

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unless you're looking for music that is legally available for free, we can't help you.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

5. ShaunM thread starter macrumors newbie

limewire is a subscription, i had an account.... but heard there were problems with it running on this computer, and wanted to see if anyone had experience with it...

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Whoa. IT'S ILLEGAL. I DON'T CARE IF YOU PAY FOR PREMIUM SERVICE OR WHATEVER. LIMEWIRE IS ILLEGAL.
    We won't help you here, bud. Use iTunes. Be fair.

7. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

limewire isn't illegal but it can be used to do illegal things

8. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

Limewire is not illegal. Saying that is like saying Dvd burners are illegal. And guns are illegal. Just because people can use certain tools to do bad things does not automatically make them illegal. There has been no law passed that specifically makes P2P programs illegal yet. I am sure there is plenty of public license stuff on limewire that anyone can use without the RIAA pounding down your door.

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Well, guns aren't really illegal. You know, the Bill of Rights, and stuff...:rolleyes:

But yeah, MacRumors isn't really in to discussing illegal downloads of music, which is obviously what you aim to do...

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't think any successful DJ will be playing only stuff from before 1922...
    public domain info

11. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I am sure that some bands put music out under a creative commons type license. Not all bands are involved in copy writing their music. The vast majority are but, just stating that someone downloads music off of limewire does not directly mean they are downloading protected music. People should chill out. If the poster who requested info actually wanted to link to a specific file then I would see the issue, but requesting info in limewire by itself does not equal illegal activities.

12. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

That was my point. Just because they can be used to do illegal things doesnt make them illegal. :rolleyes:

13. ShaunM thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry guys i didnt realize it was illegal, honestly thought if you were paying for it, it was legit...
    any one recommend any legit sites for music, im really new to downloading music and everything i have is on cd or vinal, just thought i would try something new.
    thanks
    shaun

14. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

But of course...

http://www.apple.com/itunes/ :)

15. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Limewire is simply a program that lets users connect to each other...they have nothing to do with the content that is being shared between the users. So when you pay for Limewire, you're just paying for the their support and a few other small perks. They take no responsibility for the content being shared, as it's not located on their servers. Much of this content is covered by copyright laws, and thus it is illegal to download.

17. jofarmer macrumors member

Go'n'use http://www.emusic.com. It's legal, fair, songs have better encoding quality and cost less than in itms and emusic.com has more indy-labels whereas itms has mainly mainstream music.

18. andyrx7 macrumors newbie

You guys should remember that we aren't all in the US. Here in Canada for instance, downloading / uploading music via P2P is not illegal (at least not clearly), according to our supreme court, and despite the best efforts of the record industry to convince the public into thinking so.