Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Oct 2, 2006.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

at my school they are having a closeout sale for the Macbook Pro 15 inch. 1.83 Core Duo, 512mb RAM, 80gb hard drive for just $1299. Should I get it? Or is that a sign that C2D will be out very shortly? Even still, it is a great price that is just at the top of my budget

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That is a killer deal for a 15" MBP. Who cares if a new chip is coming out? It's not that much faster, and you're getting a Pro at MB prices.

You'll need a minimum of 1 GB (total) of RAM, and I highly recommend buying a 1GB stick (bringing you up to 1.5GB).

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

this is a decent deal, it's not THAT great of a deal... 1.83 core duo is out and gone long ago... but i think it's still a decent machine

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Um, "long ago"? It was phased out, what, six months ago for something only marginally faster?

Buy it or not, $1299 for a new MBP that's likely not noticeably slower than the next rev will be for almost all apps you'll be using is a good price. It's not like the PPC->Intel switch. CD->C2D is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's a great deal. If it's just at the top of your budget, there's no way you'll be able to afford a new C2D machine anyways. I paid $1750 for a 15" powerbook about a year ago (and I got a good deal at school), to show you how far the machines have come and what a good price you're looking at. I'd buy it in a second, with no regrets at all.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Heck yeah, that's a good deal. You should go for it. In fact, if the new processors come out within a few days of you getting it or if you even just change your mind I'll even buy it from you!

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think it's safe to say that we would be all over a deal like that here ;)

Just imagine if Apple charged you that amount from the Apple Store...good bye competition and Hell :D

Ok ok, I do mean Dell...but you get the point :p

8. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

I bought it!! I couldn't pass up a deal that is the exact same price as the Blackbook and so much better. I always said that my ideal laptop would be a 15-inch Powerbook. So now it's even better! Hopefully it has no issues that I have heard the MBP's having. I doubt it will though. I'm really excited to get back to the OSX world as well. Macless since April 06

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

yeah...that is one sweet deal. just more proof that c2d mbp's are right around the corner.

10. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

the guy said 3-6 months when i asked him but he had a smirk on his face :) They have actually had this deal going on for the past two weeks. Today was just the first time I walked in the tech store in a while. ALso, I notice that whenever apple has the 1.83 MBP on refurb they are always $1549. So this is a massive saver for me and it's NEW!

11. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Well i'm on my NEW MBP!!! It's awesome! Downloading updates and all right now. I have a question about the power cord. It seems very short. Is there anything that can be done or bought to extend this cord? Other than that, this is very neat :)

12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Wow, that is a sweet deal. 1.83 CD is not "out and long ago" by any means. There are problems with Apple in that they are not giving out the best but still charging like they do. But a MBP for $1299? Regardless of spec, even $1399 would be a pretty good deal. $1299 is you conducting highway robbery on your school :D

Congrats on your purchase :)

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Long ago? How quickly some forget the PPC days...

The 1.83 GHz Core Duo is still offered in new MacBooks.

14. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

15. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Univ of Mo. Tigertech. mutigertech.com. I'm pretty sure it's only for students, but who knows.

I figured out that power cord issue. Didn't even see the adapter cable in the box! Now I'm loving this even more than before :)

16. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

They're also offering a 17-inch iMac 1.83 Core Duo for $699

17. illegaloperatio macrumors member

illegaloperatio

Quit rubbin our noses in this poop and tell us a way to get in on this madness ;)

You paid what I did for a macbook vanilla and got a Macbook Pro!

18. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah, sorry! I'm not gonna get that iMac tho. I'm just really excited to be back in the Mac world. It's AWESOME!!

This is a great laptop

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ah c'mon man, thats just mean :( I'd buy that in the blink of an eye, but if they only sell to students... WAHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS NOT FAIR!!!

20. Kenya macrumors regular

Kenya

Congratulations on your great deal! I just purchased a 15" 2.0 MBP with edu discount and it was $1800 (not including tax). Good for you!

The power cord can be made longer by using the funny little doohicky that came with it. It's hard to explain what it looks like, especially when I'm sleepy, but it should have been in the box next to your power cord. It extends it about 3 feet I think.

21. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I found that and it made my day. I thought all this greatness was going to be foiled by a tiny little power cord, but a las, it was not. I am really liking the iSight and Front Row. The movie trailer feature is really cool.

22. Kenya macrumors regular

Kenya

I can understand. I stripped one of my screws trying to install ram and I thought that one little thing would ruin my MBP experience. It hasn't of course cuz the MBP kicks booty. I like Front Row alot and use it much more than I thought I would have. I like iSight tolo and I can't wait to try out iChat. After using Windows for almost a year, I sort of feel like a Switcher.

Going to try the movie trailer thing now.

23. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

wow thats a tight deal. I wish I paid that for mine when i Got it in febuary.

24. kgarchar macrumors 6502

dude, i'll give you $1350+tax&shipping to get me one. haha.

25. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me