Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AnDi86, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Ballymoney N.Ireland
    #1
    Heylo one and all, let me first just say Hello to you all i am new to these forums but i have been reading for a few months... I am going to make the switch. As a long time windows user, i feel it is about time to broaden my horizons and switch to a mac. Although i am a hardcore PC gamer, i have a gaming rig for that such a thing, but i would use my laptop alot too for uni work and such. I would use a bit of dreamweaver, flash, photosop and some movie editing programs and such. I have been contemplating switching to the mac for quite a while and i had decided to wait to the stevenote to wait and see if there was any leopard announcements... there wasnt :confused: but we did get a glimpse of the iPhone and o how i want one.

    So anyway, should i buy a mac book pro now or wait to leopord comes out, what do you guys think would be the best option?

    I probably am inclined myself to wait for leopard, do you think the mbp will be given a speed bump at the release as well??

    Thanks in Advance
    Andi
     
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #2
    I'd wait for Leopard if I were you.

    There was probably be a speedbump, and even if not, at least a minor spec refresh to incorporate new high resolution LCDs.

    Since Leopard is resolution independent, it would be stupid of Apple that their flagship laptop line does not exploit the feature.
     
  3. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Ballymoney N.Ireland
    #3
    cheers dougal for your advice! Yeh i thinking the best option would be to wait to... whats another couple of months.
     
  4. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

    cecildk9999

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast
    #4
    Well, the classic mantra around here is 'if you need it now, buy it now. If not, then wait.' I guess the question is if you think that Leopard has a lot of features that you'll use, it may be worth holding off on a computer purchase. The pro machines were refreshed in late October, and probably won't be updated until april or may. Whatever you decide on, though, enjoy!
     
  5. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Ballymoney N.Ireland
    #5
    i totally dont need it... but i WANT it lol! Such a big child i am!
     
  6. cbougher macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2006
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #6
    It's not childish to want the best personal computer available. It's just smart :)
     
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #7
    Leopard should be released some time in Spring, so if you can wait that long, perhaps it will be worth it (newest OS, new version of iLife, bumped up specs, etc...). But if you need a MacBook Pro now, I would not hesitate to buy one today AnDi86. :)
     
  8. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Ballymoney N.Ireland
    #8
    from the features i am seeing so far i think i will wait for it! although it will prob be a long wait! But as i said i dont need one i can manage with what i have got, but i really really want one! :D Roll on leopard!
     
  9. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

    eric_n_dfw

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2002
    Location:
    DFW, TX, USA
    #9
    Any rumors on replacable drives?

    I just placed an order for a 17" MBP, but I'm thinking about canceling before it ships since I don't necessarily "need" it right away. (I am limping along with Final Cut Pro 4 on a combination of old, sub GHz, G4 based machines and a 1.2GH iBook)

    The one thing the current MBP's don't have that I really would like is the user servicable hard drive bay that the MacBook's have. Has anyone heard any rumors about whether that design will make it into a future MBP?
     
  10. AnDi86 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    Location:
    Ballymoney N.Ireland
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #11

    Sounds like you need to keep your order for the MacBook Pro, you will love the speed boost over your current machines eric_n_dfw! :)
     
  12. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

    eric_n_dfw

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2002
    Location:
    DFW, TX, USA
    #12
    Yeah, I think I will. When they update them next week you all can thank me! ;)
     
  13. neyoung macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2007
    #13
    I'm just like you... I don't NEED a new computer right now, but I WANT one :)

    I went ahead and bought a MBP. I was waiting all through December for MacWorld to see if Leopard would be released or any upgrades to the MBP. But there were none. So I decided to just take the dive. I don't really want to keep waiting for an unknown amount of time for an announcement for upgrades.
     

Share This Page