MacBook Pro's are poor value

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by wickedking94, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    Heres a summary of why MacBook Pro's are bad value.

Back in 2010 I bought a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. It cost 1200$ before tax. This is what I got:

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Dual core
    250GB HDD
    GeForce 320M 256MB

Less than a year later my brother got a laptop. He paid 1200$ before tax. This is what he got:

2.8 Ghz Core i7 Quad Core
    750 GB HDD
    1GB GeForce DEDICATED graphics

Thats still better than the newest MacBook Pro that costs 1200$ before tax.

My brothers laptop can still do all the latest and greatest video editing and gaming, while mine struggles to do them at the most basic settings.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    If the tech specs are the only things that count for you, then my all means, get a Windows based notebook, and a plural apostrophe detector (PAD).
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2010
    my rMBP just paid for itself. too bad its such a horrible value.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    Im sorry but what else is there besides tech specs? Mac OS is better than windows by far, but in order to utilize it you have to drop at least 1500$ to get a computer that has good enough specs. Or build an unofficial system (hackintosh) that you have limited parts to choose from and have to take extra steps to trick Mac OS into installing and getting drivers and crap to make it work properly.

I suppose theres the aluminum body and edge to edge glass on the display, but honestly I'll survive better with a plastic laptop if it means I can get a quad core system for under 1200$
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2009
    Yep, most Windows laptops spec-for-spec are cheaper than MacBooks. As was already pointed out, if that's all you care about then they're probably not for you.

You probably could have bought a Windows Core-based laptop in 2010, but obviously you bought the MBP for a reason.

Not sure the reason for bringing this up again is.

There is plenty besides tech specs. A Timex keeps better time than a Rolex, and yet they still sell over a million of them every year.

So...I guess...go buy a Windows laptop? If that's what you're trying to do.
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    "paid for itself?"

What can that hardware do than any other hardware cant do at a fraction the cost?

And retina display doesn't count because thats a stupid gimmick.
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2011
  8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    Basically I'm bringing it up again because I'm pissed off at the lack of capability from a 2 year old over priced block of metal and I want other people to realize that its true. Or failing that piss them off too.
  9. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2009
    Huh? You don't need to drop $1,500 in order to "utilize" OS X.

If you're happier with your windows laptop that's fine, it's the machine for you. It's not the machine for me. There's no point in posting this thread here unless you were intentionally looking to start arguments.

EDIT: lol, what a petty and sad little man you are. Stay mad.
  10. macrumors 65816

Oct 10, 2011
  11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    But I don't want to use Windows. Thats the effing point. Why cant I have Mac OS on a cheap plastic laptop with good specs instead of this stupid ascetics piece of junk.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2013
    seems like he got more of a deal then you did.

im assuming he got the 1st gen i7
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 27, 2010
  14. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    No, trolling would be going "Gaiz MAcs R so dum. PC r way bettur wai U guaz uz Macz?"

No I believe it was at the very beginning of the Sandy Bridge CPUs.
  15. macrumors 6502a

May 3, 2011
    because thats not how the world works. You buy what apple has to offer not the other way around. Dont like it? Get out.

I assume the 94 at the end of your username is the year you were born?
  16. macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Well duh. Apple doesn't make computers for budget minded consumers.
  17. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    I posted this because quite frankly im sick to death of how most of the Mac user population turns a blind eye to the obvious faults that Mac has and just keep spewing the "mac is perfect" BS.

Well maybe Apple should finally give a crap about what consumers want before they're stock falls through the floor and they're back to the way they were in the 90's

What does my age have to do with anything?
  18. macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2011
    And not getting BSODs anymore except in bootcamp? Priceless...

My wife dropped my old 2008 MBP through a plate glass table top onto concrete a few years ago. It had a small dent in it (no broken screen) and she still uses it daily. Had to replace the battery once. Meanwhile, my old windows lappies' batteries would last close to a year and then go dead and a fall like that would have resulted in a million tiny pieces. I save serious gaming for my desktop that I put together. At this point, I'm giving it away to my 7 year old since my 15 RMBP is fine.
  19. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    Uh huh.

My brother dropped his laptop down 2 sets of stairs and it survived without a dent, so clearly it doesn't have to be made by apple to be durable.
  20. macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    Normally, the older the person, the more mature.

Also, besides the average consumer, many users of the Mac's use it because it literally makes them money. They use the software made for it for production/work purposes.

So in reality, that $1500 is pocket change for them.

The real saying is, if you can't afford it, don't get it. If you're only getting it cause you want to fit in, then what are you really doing?
  21. macrumors 68020

Jun 21, 2011
    So bitter. The SSD and display make the RMBP a favourite among several tech sites.
    I had a similarly specced MBP as you. It was outdated tech when it was released. I paid 1800$ total and sold it last year for 1200$. If you don't like your mac sell it. The resell value is great.
  22. macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2011
    And your bro has never experienced a BSOD on the rock solid OS that is windows.
  23. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2010
    And once my other brothers laptop's DVD drive failed. It costs 10$ and took 30 seconds to replace because like most laptops it doesn't use expensive proprietary parts to make it 1 mm thinner.
  24. macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2011
  25. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2009
    No one cares that you're mad. I don't care if you're mad, but if it makes you feel any better, I am laughing at your expense right now.

Windows and Linux variants also have obvious faults. I haven't seen anyone here state that Macs are "perfect". Stop throwing a temper tantrum like a child and blowing things out of proportion.

Or rather, continue on with your little show, because I am getting great enjoyment out of it. HA HA HA

HA HA HA

HA HA HA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.